Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do We Remember things From Our Childhood?
Why Do We Remember things From Our Childhood?
Our bodies are constantly shedding old dead cells and replacing them with new ones with diminishing returns as we age. I was told that the body takes seven years to completely replace every cell. So all the cells I had seven years ago are gone.  How then do we  remember things that were recorded by cells that no longer exists?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Do We Remember things From Our Childhood?
It's a myth, actually. Each type of cell has a different lifespan. Skin cells live for three weeks. Our memories are stored in the brain. Brain cells typically last an entire lifetime. Neurons in the cerebral cortex are not replaced when they die.
That's interesting! I never knew that.

I reckon I've got some suppressed memories from my childhood. I am unbelievably jumpy, if anything falls to the floor or someone creeps up on me, I go into this defensive crouch and throw my hands over my head. I really can't help it. I bet it's a trigger from something.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Probably something that happened during potty training . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Panic Ahhhhhh! Panic
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(April 21, 2015 at 9:18 am)Neimenovic Wrote: It's a myth, actually. Each type of cell has a different lifespan. Skin cells live for three weeks. Our memories are stored in the brain. Brain cells typically last an entire lifetime. Neurons in the cerebral cortex are not replaced when they die.

Then is it possible to predict (within a ballpark) an elderly person's death when their brain cells start dying (naturally, not from Alzheimer's)?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Why do we remember things from our childhood?

Because I was there...
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 21, 2015 at 10:08 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: Then is it possible to predict (within a ballpark) an elderly person's death when their brain cells start dying (naturally, not from Alzheimer's)?

Not sure, you'd have to ask a neurologist, I'm a mere amateur

But we lose brain cells from the moment of birth and continue well into adulthood and even later in life. This doesn't cause any damage and is required for healthy brain development.
I stopped drinking a long time ago when I found out it kills brain cells and they won't usually grow back Sad Only having about 20 to begin with I can't afford the casualties. I used to hit myself over the head with stuff as well, that probably wasn't so smart.

Now I can't drink anyway because of medication.

Index of my best videos
What little I've read about memory says you shouldn't think of it as a dvd trove. It is more like your brain takes little impressions and stitches together a likely scenario which we call a memory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people sometimes see weird things. Jehanne 7 1960 January 16, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus