Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do Christians justify not being catholic?
How do Christians justify not being catholic?
What the title says. Didn't Jesus pretty explicitly state that
Quote:And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
and wouldn't that entail that only the Roman church is the the rightful successor of Jesus? I'm just interested in the rationale of evangelical/protestant Christians behind rejecting this claim.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: How do Christians justify not being catholic?
it's a metaphor

k I'll go now sorry
I think it's at least somewhat due to the fact that the Catholic church then started pulling shit out of their asses that Jesus never said and wasn't part of the Bible (eg Purgatory, indulgences, the entire structure of the church with the popes/cardinals/bishops, etc). And many thought the catholic church no longer was the rock upon which Jesus built his church.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
There was a long battle between Rome and Constantinople for church supremacy.  I wonder when all that happy horseshit was written?
Easy, Protestants just interpret "church" differently.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Well, I think you could either claim that it's due to Martin Luther and John Calvin or you could claim that the church's corruption made the Protestant Reformation inevitable.  I would probably go with the latter and say that no matter what scripture said, it was inevitable that Christians would leave.  Christians believe in the corrupt nature of man, so I don't think it would be too hard to theologically justify that man had ruined what Jesus had established.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"Thou shalt follow the guy who manages to kill everyone else."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Quote:man had ruined what Jesus had established.

Um, I read the book.  Jesus didn't establish shit.
The answer is simple if you read Greek.
Jesus said to Pete: "...you are Petros ( masculine, a large piece of rock) and upon this Petra
( feminine, a huge rock like Gibraltar), I will build My church... Two different words are used.
Pete had just stated that Jesus is the Christ.
Upon that information /statement Jesus would build His church.
Christianity predates Catholicism.
Catholicism is a subversion of Christianity.
It's because some Christians thought the Catholic church became corrupt and decided to create another church and similar reasons for every denomination eventually arose - I don't think it is relevant. It's like asking Christians why they are Christians.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 34519 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 358 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 3968 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1414 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1355 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 781 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2543 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do theists justify the translations of the scriptures? Macoleco 44 6421 October 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2192 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3355 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild