Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Kind of Atheist are You?
What Kind of Atheist are You?
This thread was inspired by one of our newest members, PhilosophicalZebra. I wonder how philosophical he is concerning lions. Smile

I was moved by his reference to Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot. That says it all for me. Atheism is not a worldview in itself but Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speaks volumes for many of us, including most Secular Humanists like myself. Atheism is just a component in anyone's worldview but whether they are Secular Humanists or not, that image of our homeworld being but a speck in a cosmic vastness is so powerful. It makes our differences seem so petty, so insignificant. But not necessarily for all of us.

There are many brands of atheists including Satanists and Objectivists (Ayn Rand atheists). I feel more kinship with liberal Christians than I do with those. That seems to be the majority opinion among us. If find it interesting that while there are so many generic atheism websites like this one and Secular Humanist websites, there are few dedicated to minority atheists like the Rand followers and Satanists.

I wonder what label or description (if any) the typical atheist/agnostic/freethinker here would use to describe himself/herself. I didn't make this a poll because those are almost always too limiting. There will always be someone for whom the labels don't fit. Their own words would be better.

I use the Secular Humanist label to describe myself. Secular Humanists have a science-based outlook regarding reality and a common-sense, common-good outlook regarding morality. Compassion for others is a core component. There is also the belief that we human beings have everything we need to improve ourselves, to transcend our limitations. No cosmic babysitter is required. We can achieve greatness on our own. My first inclination that I was a member of this ethos was through watching the original Star Trek TV series. Later, I found that the creator of the series (Gene Roddenberry) was a Secular Humanist and that the characters he created reflected that.

Anyway, that's me. What are you?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: What Kind of Atheist are You?
Pretty much the same here. See my sig? Wink

I believe that we are one outcome, but most certainly not the aim, of a staggeringly vast chain of events that has led to our species evolving, and being able to develop to the brain capacity to unravel that chain of events and realise exactly that process. The factors that have led to our existence are many, and the fact that that they all hard to work in perfect harmony together is an incredibly rare thing, to be sure. But I also know that of all the planets in the universe, those factors aligned in such a way on at least one that it gave rise to a species that could muse upon them. They are natural and random, with no intelligence driving them and no aim in mind.

Many theists think this is a soulless way of looking at the world. I heartily disagree. I think the fact we are here essentially by accident is more humbling than the most awesome god, more inspiring than the grandest claims of salvation and eternal life, and more satisfying than the deepest prayer. Belief in an intelligence guiding the workings of the universe makes no sense, because there is always the question of where such intelligence came from, which is something no theist has ever come close to answering. Beyond that, the idea of a creator cheapens the entire miracle of life. That it came about by an incredibly long and perfect circumstances is an infinitely more sensible and satisfying concept.

On humanity itself...we have so much potential. We have experienced a greater shift in our paradigm in the last century than at any point in our existence. We have tentatively begun our first steps towards exploring the solar system and perhaps the universe beyond, and created machines capable of answering questions unasked and unanswered since the beginning of the universe. We have saved ourselves again and again, from stepping away from the brink of nuclear annihilation to leading countless efforts to simply make the world a better place.

We have, and still do, committed despicable acts of evil. The acrid smoke that hung over the concentration camps of the Nazi Empire. The slave trade and its modern equivalent. Greed, corruption, murder, chaos. But there are always those who stand up to those things, because most people have an intrinsic sense of morality that is hardwired into us from our origins as social animals.

Overall, I think we're making the world a better place, though the process has always been slow, and with many stops and starts. We are not the most important generation to have lived, but we are one of the most dynamic. It may be foolish to be grateful to nature, as it has no intelligence and cannot be receptive of such emotion, but I am honoured to be living in a time when we are becoming more and more aware of our place, atop this Pale Blue Dot.
Medium.

I avoid the humanist label because I think it may foster a cult of shoulding with out thinking.

I think I am the kind of atheist that doesn't find any direction at all from religion or (in my case) its absence. I don't need a substitute for religion because I'd be resistant to living my life 'in the third person', always looking to do or avoid doing the right things. Not looking for any sort of rote response to life. I intend to go on making it up afresh as I go right up to the end.
To borrow a bit from Jerry DeWitt (with some personal modification):

Skepticism is my nature.
Critical thinking is my method.
Agnosticism is my conclusion.
Atheism is my belief state.
Secular humanism is my worldview and motivation.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Aw, thank you for the mention, AFTT47! Big Grin I'm glad it moved you in the same way it moved me. (I'm actually a female Big Grin )

My answer is summed up perfectly by Iroscato and so there is no point in me repeating it again. It's a fascinating thread topic and I look forward to reading others' responses Smile
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

Oops, sorry about the gender bender, Zebrette. Smile
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I like long walks on the beach...
(April 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm)whateverist Wrote: Medium.

I avoid the humanist label because I think it may foster a cult of shoulding with out thinking.

I think I am the kind of atheist that doesn't find any direction at all from religion or (in my case) its absence. I don't need a substitute for religion because I'd be resistant to living my life 'in the third person', always looking to do or avoid doing the right things. Not looking for any sort of rote response to life. I intend to go on making it up afresh as I go right up to the end.

Just gonna plagiarize this. Yoink!
100% atheist. My only doubts deal with our perception of reality. I believe it to be very far removed from from what we think we know.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(April 21, 2015 at 8:15 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: To borrow a bit from Jerry DeWitt (with some personal modification):

Skepticism is my nature.
Critical thinking is my method.
Agnosticism is my conclusion.
Atheism is my belief state.
Secular humanism is my worldview and motivation.

Can I borrow this too? This is pretty much me. Smile

My concerns are for all life on the planet, not just humans, as far as possible. Also for the preservation of our environment and of (non human) nature. 
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 508 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7031 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  what kind of pet food do you like? Rico 15 3265 July 19, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  as an atheist, what kind of morality do you foster in your lives? ticktaka 34 6317 April 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  kind of isolated k2490 11 2285 June 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: k2490
  What kind of atheist are you? frz 40 8458 April 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Brayton.l
  What Kind of Atheist are you? SavageNerdz 32 10300 April 6, 2012 at 9:22 am
Last Post: Tempus
  What Kind of Atheist Am I? LunchBox 29 6110 September 12, 2011 at 8:51 am
Last Post: leo-rcc