Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Define Christianity
Define Christianity
Now that the word Christianity has been changed from the legal and sacred union of Jesus Christ unto himself what DOES it mean? What are the boundaries that distinguish it from other contractual arrangements, social obligations, and familial relationships?

The father, the son, and the holy spirit is quite the polygamous relationship.  Speaking of redefining Christianity!  How can such an abomination be allowed to continue?  
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Define Christianity
I think anybody who believes that Christ was divine is a Christian. The rest is just variations on the same subject matter. Of course since the divine is imaginary, it doesn't really matter.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(April 22, 2015 at 2:57 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: I think anybody who believes that Christ was divine is a Christian. The rest is just variations on the same subject matter. Of course since the divine is imaginary, it doesn't really matter.

I think that this is pretty much correct, I've heard there are atheist christians who believe that Jesus was a great example to follow but I don't see that as a Christian religion.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I think the OP comes pretty close to 'calling out', but I could be wrong.

Mind how you go.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It doesn't seem to mean anything except they identify as a Christian. People can just say whatever they want; that Jesus was just a man, but God, who is just an abstract concept, was pacified by his barbaric death. I've heard so much diversity that it tells you next to nothing.

I kind of asked this in another thread: can anyone tell someone they are not a christian, with any authority, if they claim they are?

I'd be interested to know how exactly anyone would find out about "jesus" these days if they didn't have people talking about him all the time. He would just be a character in a fictional book, end of.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 22, 2015 at 2:57 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: I think anybody who believes that Christ was divine is a Christian. The rest is just variations on the same subject matter. Of course since the divine is imaginary, it doesn't really matter.

I would agree with this but not all Christians do. Some Christians get upset if Mormons are included as followers of their religion.
I think if you believe in the divinity of Jesus and that it gets you into heaven you are a Christian. Most Christians in the world don't even read the bible that often or go to church. That's why I don't make any assumptions about them because I have Christian friends with diverse views on different subjects

The trinity is a Catholic dogma as far as I'm concerned (I have little interaction with protestants) but not all Christians believe in it and they don't stop being Christians if they don't.

Christian atheism is a curious orientation.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(April 22, 2015 at 6:20 am)Dystopia Wrote: I think if you believe in the divinity of Jesus and that it gets you into heaven you are a Christian. Most Christians in the world don't even read the bible that often or go to church. That's why I don't make any assumptions about them because I have Christian friends with diverse views on different subjects

The trinity is a Catholic dogma as far as I'm concerned (I have little interaction with protestants) but not all Christians believe in it and they don't stop being Christians if they don't.

Christian atheism is a curious orientation.
There are a few liberal Christians that reject even that.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Sometimes it seems as if Christianity is made up of several religions under one name.
(April 22, 2015 at 6:28 am)Nope Wrote: Sometimes it seems as if Christianity is made up of several religions under one name.
"Christianity" is like the term "game" in that you can have many things that we could call a game (checkers, chess, football, basketball, video games, role playing games, drinking games, sex games, etc), but there is no necessary and sufficient condition to the use of the term. 
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6748 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8461 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18220 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Define god pocaracas 11 2660 October 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Darkstar