Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late introduction
Late introduction
Hi guys,

When I first started posting I wasn't feeling great and didn't give a formal introduction. But while I'm doing better I'll explain why I'm here despite not suffering any personal hardships or discrimination at the hands of theism.

I'm very lucky compared to most members of forums like this. Few people give a damn if you don't believe in God here. Those who do, aren't surprised or shocked that you don't, and don't have specific preconceived notions about you on that basis, because it's so common that we can't be stereotyped. Most of us were never indoctrinated in the first place, or any attempt was half-hearted or incompetent, so there are no particular personality types or political persuasions strongly associated with British atheists. It's my impression that even most of our most controversial/troll-like conservatives (our equivalents of Ann Coulter, say) are atheists or non-religious vague-theists. So despite living in what's technically a theocracy, I can't complain about the effect of religion on my life.

However I've long had a fascination with religion and a lot of subjects that cross paths with it a lot, including history, science, psychology and philosophy. And atheist comedy online is some of the best. Theism is not up my arse, I don't need advice or to vent about it, I just find the subject a fruitful source of distraction and humour.

I'm into Advaita/non-dual/Buddhist philosophy, whatever you want to call it, and find some Buddhist practices, like mindfulness meditation, helpful too. Zen art, poetry and writings are special to me. They seem to make no sense at all if you don't know the philosophy and the figures of speech, metaphors and idioms common in the culture they came from. It's not for everyone though, some people get extremely freaked out by the implications of no-self, no-thingness etc., no free will or controlling central agent of or "self" to have free will in the first place, and I felt the same at first, but now it comforts me and I try to remind myself and get myself in that state of consciousness where there is no sensation of having an central, controlling agent behind the mind, and no sensation of enduring through time, rather being one moment of consciousness that will be replaced by another, separate one, and which has no past of its own either. Unfortunately the more anxiety there is, the harder that is to do, but when I do break through it, it's very comforting. The people I've told about it find it weird that that would comfort me in any way. Apart from those who've done LSD; they seem to get it.  Tongue

Although my first post was initially just seeking reassurance over something I thought this would be a good place to get answers about, I've decided to stick around. Intelligent debate, serious subjects, good humour and kindness don't very often partner up online, so I'll shelter with you guys for a while!  Smile
"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts
RE: Late introduction
That's great to hear! I'm glad you'll be staying with us Smile Thanks for telling us a bit more about yourself.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Buddhism? yeh it's cool without the woo (not that there is too much of it, but the woo isn't non-existent either) and I feel it is very practical and realistic in it's philosophy.

BTW, WELCOME it is great to have you among us.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Well, if a late introduction, then there was once a Late Ramesside Period in Egypt. Hope you're feeling better.
I am truly delighted to count myself among those whom you have had the pleasure to meet here! Welcome Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hello to you. Did you name yourself after an interesting British Magazine from the 1980s?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hi Hi
Hello, Razzle! I just assumed I missed your introduction. Big Grin
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome to the forums! Smile
Welcome! I investigated Buddhism myself in the past but it wasn't my cup of tea. It certainly the least baggage of any of the major religions and perhaps the most useful. teachings.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 721 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 954 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1942 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1337 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3694 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2240 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 1970 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1146 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 950 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2846 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2