Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sure some of you run into this too.
Sure some of you run into this too.
Don't you just love it when a theist shits on science using computers and software which is a direct product of science?

Well on FB ran into a Christian doing that, not a shocker, but his version of "SCIENCE SUCKS" had some extra special nuttiness to it. He tried to argue that things were better before all this? 

Oh really? You mean when human mortality rate was much higher, when we didn't have doctors and stupidly thought epilepsy was caused by demon possession? When diseases that don't kill us now widely killed tons more back then? The he brought up overpopulation. Again I tried to tell him that isn't because of science. Science teaches you how your body works, it doesn't tell you to fuck. Religion tells you to "be fruitful and multiply" which is why the Pope tells people  not to use condoms which prevent unwanted pregnancies and disease. Cant make more gang minions if you are not getting knocked up.

No he wants to blame science for nukes? Couldn't get this idiot to understand that it isn't "method" itself doing that, it is the humans using it unethically. North Korea and Iran have scientists who understand nuclear power. 

If we destroy ourselves as a species, it will not be because of the hammer itself, the tool, it will be because the rich and the religious misuse it. But the irony of shitting on science while using a product invented by atheists like Mark Zuckerburg with FB and Bill Gates  with windows. always gives me a chuckle.
RE: Sure some of you run into this too.
Shove this up his ass.

Quote:We have already compared the benefits of theology and science. When the theologian governed the world, it was covered with huts and hovels for the many, palaces and cathedrals for the few. To nearly all the children of men, reading and writing were unknown arts. The poor were clad in rags and skins -- they devoured crusts, and gnawed bones. The day of Science dawned, and the luxuries of a century ago are the necessities of to-day. Men in the middle ranks of life have more of the conveniences and elegancies than the princes and kings of the theological times. But above and over all this, is the development of mind. There is more of value in the brain of an average man of to-day -- of a master-mechanic, of a chemist, of a naturalist, of an inventor, than there was in the brain of the world four hundred years ago.
     These blessings did not fall from the skies. These benefits did not drop from the outstretched hands of priests. They were not found in cathedrals or behind altars -- neither were they searched for with holy candles. They were not discovered by the closed eyes of prayer, nor did they come in answer to superstitious supplication. They are the children of freedom, the gifts of reason, observation and experience -- and for them all, man is indebted to man.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "God In The Constitution"
You know what is especially funny about theists, I cant do a fraction to save my life but I value science much more than most theists. You don't have to be a genus to drive a car to know it doesn't run on pixy dust.

Oh and some think I am mean to religion Ingersoll depending on the quote would make me look like a PC liberal. I am a liberal, just no fan of political correctness.
Reverse evolution. Technology can and does make people dumber. It's just more apparent with people who are already delusional.

Nice one minimalist.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I agree some people rely too much on technology and don't engage their brain.

When I was a maths teacher, a student was doing a sum to find out the length of the side of a shape. He plugged some figures into his calculator (making an error doing so) and wrote down the answer of -5 or something like that. I asked him if he saw a problem with that answer and he said no, that's what the calculator says.

My father in law keeps telling me how much better things were before mobile phones. He has one, of course!

Some theists seem to think science is some evil sentient force hell bent on eradicating religion and removing all morality or something. As it happens, it does make religion look pretty stupid, but that's far from its intended effect. The problem is not with science, it's with the fact that religion is stupid.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 26, 2015 at 3:51 am)robvalue Wrote: I agree some people rely too much on technology and don't engage their brain.

When I was a maths teacher, a student was doing a sum to find out the length of the side of a shape. He plugged some figures into his calculator (making an error doing so) and wrote down the answer of -5 or something like that. I asked him if he saw a problem with that answer and he said no, that's what the calculator says.

I think in the early levels of math instruction, one should not be allowed to use a calculator.  Pushing buttons on a calculator does not give one an understanding of math.

(April 26, 2015 at 3:51 am)robvalue Wrote: My father in law keeps telling me how much better things were before mobile phones. He has one, of course!

Sometimes, people have things because they have to have them, not because they want them.  My wife has a cell phone for work.  She is required to have it; it is not an option if she wants her job.

I personally have a cell phone, and I like having one.  However, I use it in a manner of my choosing.  I have it off most of the time, and turn it on if I want to make a call, or if I am expecting a call.  I do not let the technology own me, or run my life.  I think a lot of people have trouble with this, and can never get away from work, and have their lives constantly interrupted by others.

I think for a lot of people, their lives would be better if cell phones had never been invented.  Many people have trouble with using things wisely.

Also, some idiots use the damn things in movie theaters and other such places, which affects other people.  So, yes, in many instances, it would be better if cell phones had never been invented.  It would be nice if it were impossible for a cell phone to ring when one is at a theater or concert or other such thing.  And before cell phones were invented, it was impossible for a cell phone to ring in a theater or concert or other such thing.

(April 26, 2015 at 3:51 am)robvalue Wrote: Some theists seem to think science is some evil sentient force hell bent on eradicating religion and removing all morality or something. As it happens, it does make religion look pretty stupid, but that's far from its intended effect. The problem is not with science, it's with the fact that religion is stupid.

Yes.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
It's a position of convenience, like so many theistic arguments: This is the thing that so often steps on their religion's toes, so therefore it must be bad... oh, except all those parts of it that work to their advantage, those all don't count as part of science, for some reason.

Hell, they do it with the bible, why stop there? Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not sure Stan will show up. Brian37 20 725 March 3, 2024 at 3:06 am
Last Post: no one
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1311 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Have you got some kind of Christian backgound? Dundee 25 3545 April 15, 2020 at 9:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  No more “lead us not into temptation” Fake Messiah 22 2428 June 15, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Too Soon For a Lie YahwehIsTheWay 14 2584 December 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  A look into the mindset of an Evangelical Trumptard drfuzzy 10 1561 October 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Too Late Fucktards. You Own Him Now. Minimalist 10 1484 October 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2238 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's gotten into Italians? brewer 21 3017 March 5, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  You Put Absolutely NO Thought Into This Astonished 45 9857 August 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Astonished