Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Human Eye: A Double Standard?
The Human Eye: A Double Standard?
If, as theists tell us, the human eye is so complex a structure that we are forced to provide ontological explanation for its design, is god so much more simple that he needs no designer?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Human Eye: A Double Standard?
What kind of a lousy deity creates an eye so complex and yet puts a blind spot in it?
As for God being designed somehow, I bet that part involves turtles. Lotsa turtles.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

They don't call it a double standard...
They call it "the uncaused causer" , or "the unmoved mover",... which is just special pleading to have the most complex consciousness imaginable as the one thing that existed before everything else.
NDGT on the series Cosmos explained perfectly how the eye evolved.  I don't know how to put a video up but it is easily found on netflix.
(April 28, 2015 at 9:01 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: If, as theists tell us, the human eye is so complex a structure that we are forced to provide ontological explanation for its design, is god so much more simple that he needs no designer?

Theists are full of shit.

Nature is replete with example of eyes reduced to every intermediate steps of complexity in the progress from simple light sensing cells towards supposedly irreducible complex focusing camera eyes. Along the way you see eye pits, exposed simple flat sheet retinas, lens-less pin hole eyes, compound focusless eyes.
Now there you go again, confusing the christers with facts.

Shame on you !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 28, 2015 at 9:01 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: If, as theists tell us, the human eye is so complex a structure that we are forced to provide ontological explanation for its design, is god so much more simple that he needs no designer?

God is magical
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If our eye is so perfect, then why make an even better one and give it to eagles?
(April 28, 2015 at 9:58 am)pocaracas Wrote: If our eye is so perfect, then why make an even better one and give it to eagles?

Original sin. Before the fall, our eyes were perfect.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Revised Standard Version Bible has Dead Sea Scroll input ?!?! vorlon13 17 3769 February 20, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Shouldn't there be more Christians with eye patches? BrokenQuill92 33 7839 February 2, 2014 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Tired of xtians prattling on about their "eye-witness" testimony? Minimalist 22 10099 April 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is God’s justice close to an eye for an eye? Greatest I am 14 7829 January 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God did it! Statistical miracle! 6 double-yolk eggs in a row. (not a miracle, BBC) Anymouse 1 2059 December 10, 2011 at 3:10 am
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels