Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another reason I agree with Hitchens.
Another reason I agree with Hitchens.
In calling religion poison. 

http://www.wgxa.tv/news/local/Milledgevi...52501.html

This is why I say our morality as a species should not be viewed as coming from an object. The real truth is that humans read into their books their own bigotry, if the words had never been put into that book in the first place, religious people would have nothing to justify it with and would not be able to hide behind their religion to justify such vile absurdity.
RE: Another reason I agree with Hitchens.
Fucking hell! You insane people! The fact that this guy even thinks this sort of action is OK just shows how much religion has rotted his brain.

And nice try, but the bible never even mentions homosexuality as far as I know. It wouldn't be a concept that would have been understood back then, many people don't even understand it now. Of course in the uneducated mind of a bigot sexual acts and sexuality are the same thing. The verse he refers to mentions sexual acts not sexuality.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
"If a man lies with a man" I do think is in there and homophobia was a widespread social norm in the monotheism of antiquity.

Still does not mater, yes sex acts are different than sexuality, but if you are gay and because of their stupid book and confusing the two, how is an adult gay person going to get to express their sexuality with another consenting adult?

The way you put it allows them to say "I don't care if you are gay, but you cant have sex with someone you love" It is also why sodomy between adult heterosexuals those bans got thrown out.
"If" my parents didn't exist I wouldn't have been born. Any reason why your ifs should matter? You can find justifications for homophobia outside religion. My dad is an atheist and he justifies it with biology, procreation and "nature".
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(May 1, 2015 at 10:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: "If a man lies with a man" I do think is in there and homophobia was a widespread social norm in the monotheism of antiquity.

Did it ever occur to you that these religions picked up on preexisting prejudices? That's what these religions are all about, if you strip them from their woo. A mirror of society at a particular place at a particular point in time. Homophobia probably originated way back when procreation was an absolute necessity to keep the tribe from dying out.

Seriously, not every wayward turd on the street is about religion.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(May 1, 2015 at 10:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: "If a man lies with a man" I do think is in there and homophobia was a widespread social norm in the monotheism of antiquity.

One could argue - and quite frankly I'm surprised it's not an argument made often - that blowing a guy through a glory-hole in a public bathroom does not technically constitute "lying". Tongue

Quote:lie

lʌɪ/

verb

1. 1.
    (of a person or animal) be in or assume a horizontal or resting position on a supporting surface.
    "the body lay face downwards on the grass"
    synonyms:
    recline, lie down, lie back, be recumbent, be prostrate, be supine, be prone, be stretched out, stretch oneself out, lean back, sprawlrest,reposerelaxloungelollbask
    "he was lying on a bed"

2. 2.
    be, remain, or be kept in a specified state.
    "the abbey lies in ruins today"
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 1, 2015 at 11:19 am)Dystopia Wrote: "If" my parents didn't exist I wouldn't have been born. Any reason why your ifs should matter? You can find justifications for homophobia outside religion. My dad is an atheist and he justifies it with biology, procreation and "nature".

I didn't say you couldn't but religion is a political entity yielding power over governments, and that does have a real impact on minorities.

The "if" part of my example isn't about force or erasing the past, it is suggesting people consider that their morality is not coming from that book. Like you said if it can be found outside it, then you prove my point that our species behaviors are in us, not holy books. Take away their pedestal they have nothing they can hide behind. No I don't mean ban religion, I do mean take away their excuses.
The thing is, even if you know someone is gay, it's not the bigot's business whether or not they are having anal sex. To just assume it, and then apply the death penalty in that assumption is a bit ridiculous even if you accept the ludicrous biblical law.

I mean really, if God wants someone dead because of anal sex, he shouldn't have any trouble doing it himself without pastor crazy having to incite mobs to do it.

Why pick on this particular "sin" for the death penalty out of all the things the bible can get you stoned for?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Couldn't help but notice that the offending Pastor's name is Robert Lee. Perhaps there is something inherent in the name that destined him to be on the wrong side of the issue.
(May 1, 2015 at 11:59 am)Cato Wrote: Couldn't help but notice that the offending Pastor's name is Robert Lee. Perhaps there is something inherent in the name that destined him to be on the wrong side of the issue.

Hmmm... There might be something to it. Bruce Lee had a brother named Robert. He apparently chose a career in music and subsequently no one ever heard of him, as opposed to his martial arts legend sibling...

Well - that's not completely fair, he was briefly successful in Hong Kong. Still, he should have learned kung-fu instead of guitar, perhaps. 
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dicks had a meltdown, for good reason. Brian37 95 5160 October 14, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Another day another mass shooting in America downbeatplumb 35 4487 August 29, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Another Day, another derogatory book about Trump. Jehanne 25 2294 August 13, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I Could Not Agree More Minimalist 2 347 November 16, 2017 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I Hate To Agree With North Korea Minimalist 5 844 November 1, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I Could Not Agree More Minimalist 4 616 August 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Another Day - Another Leak Mexico Isn't Paying For The Fucking Wall Minimalist 28 6878 August 7, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Dropship
  Yet Another Reason The Obamas Will Be Missed BrianSoddingBoru4 2 613 January 12, 2017 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Penn/Hitchens on Agnes "Mother Teresa" Brian37 0 438 September 6, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Another Rapist - Another Asshole Judge Minimalist 13 3501 August 22, 2016 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist