Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA Tests EM Drive
NASA Tests EM Drive
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/05/01...tail=email

Quote:The EmDrive which made made headlines last year is back in the news with the results from a new set of tests by NASA showing that the drive has been successfully tested in a hard vacuum.

The EM drive is controversial in that it appears to violate conventional physics and the law of conservation of momentum; the engine, invented by British scientist Roger Sawyer, converts electric power to thrust without the need for any propellant by bouncing microwaves within a closed container. So, with no expulsion of propellant, there’s nothing to balance the change in the spacecraft’s momentum during acceleration. Hence the skepticism. But as stated by NASA Eagleworks scientist Harold White:

Interesting.
RE: NASA Tests EM Drive
I wonder what our resident rocket scientist, Alex K, would have to say about this....

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I heard this has potentially created a warp drive-like effect? Or is that just normal media howler monkey exaggeration? A cruel trick to play, if so.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
The demonstration in a vacuum chamber was pretty significant. I'm not entirely convinced, but it's heading in an interesting direction.

An extremely efficient and powerful EM Drive (if such can be built) raises some curious thoughts about the Fermi Paradox too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 1, 2015 at 4:22 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The demonstration in a vacuum chamber was pretty significant.  I'm not entirely convinced, but it's heading in an interesting direction.

An extremely efficient and powerful EM Drive (if such can be built) raises some curious thoughts about the Fermi Paradox too.

I solved the Fermi Paradox long ago.  Any species intelligent enough for interstellar space travel would be too intelligent to want to visit this planet.  They would receive our radio and TV broadcasts long before they arrived, and they would know that this isn't a place worth visiting.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
This thing (assuming it works) is not a faster than light drive. As incredible as that would be, this is just one step below that in terms of mind-blowing. It is a reactionless drive that somehow develops the equivalent of thrust with microwaves. You could travel across space just by pumping electricity into this thing. No expelling of mass is required. It would make interplanetary travel routine although it would not help getting from the ground to orbit.

Despite the latest tests, color me VERY skeptical. There is no known effect to account for this which is why it appears to violate physical laws. The effect is very small too so there is always the possibility of measurement error. I would jump for joy if this was real but until it passes more rigorous testing, it looks like cold fusion to me.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
or polywater

or N rays

or transubstantiation . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If that worked, they would have discovered an (apparent) violation of momentum conservation. Forget applications - if true, that would possibly be the most profound physics discovery of the past 100 years. But you just don't violate momentum by bouncing microwaves around. No way, with such simple technology.

Saying that such physics could revolutionize propulsion is a bit like saying that telekinesis would revolutionize clean room operation. It would be so much bigger. What also lets me doubt is their "explanation" - that the quantum vacuum acts as propellent or something. From all the ultra precise QED predictions and measurements we have to date, there is no indication that the quantum vacuum behaves like that.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 1, 2015 at 5:39 pm)Alex K Wrote: If that worked, they would have discovered an (apparent) violation of momentum conservation. Forget applications - if true, that would possibly be the most profound physics discovery of the past 100 years. But you just don't violate momentum by bouncing microwaves around. No way, with such simple technology

Was that all of your post? Or was there more?! Oh god, I never knew the lack of a full stop could be so painful!
I MUST KNOW.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
See above, I was interrupted.

Anyways. I just think if low energy light waves could violate momentum to this extent, we would have noticed... There is a way to check that - by employing the lorentz violating extension of the standard model by Kostelecky et al, and see how far you have to crank up the parameters to accomodate this claimed effect. My suspicion is that this would mess with the rest of precision physics
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4363 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  NASA's Ceres Probe Minimalist 1 967 September 5, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  NASA about to break "Huge" news SofaKingHigh 20 4140 December 27, 2015 at 2:06 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Mars has flowing water according to NASA A Theist 2 1404 September 28, 2015 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: abaris
  EM drive actually works???? EAT THAT NEWTONIANS! Mystical 15 4085 August 11, 2014 at 8:10 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  NASA says it's official popeyespappy 20 4616 September 14, 2013 at 9:06 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Amazing hi-res NASA pictures zebo-the-fat 3 2465 July 28, 2013 at 10:06 am
  NASA Hubble Finds a True Blue Planet pocaracas 2 1997 July 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm
  NASA Wants to Give Our Moon a Moon thesummerqueen 14 6481 January 4, 2013 at 1:07 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Rumor Roundup: Has NASA Discovered Alien Life? downbeatplumb 7 2972 December 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb