Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worry and Control
Worry and Control
Why worry about things you can't control? Fair enough.

Why worry about things you can? Fair enough.

What if you are uncertain whether you can or can't control it though? That's why I worry.

I may be trying and struggling to control something I can't but I wrongly think I can and waste time and effort and make things worse instead of better.

Or I may miss an opportunity because I think I can't control something, or something is not worth controlling, when I either can control it or it is not only controllable definitely worth controlling.

See, that's why I worry.  Not because of lack of control, not because of control... but because of uncertainty of control and uncertainty of worthwhileness of control.

That's why I worry.
RE: Worry and Control
You'll never be fully in control. Control is an illusion. Just accept it and roll with it, because there's literally nothing you can do about it
The one choice you do have is whether you'll spend your life worried sick or actually living it
Maybe discuss with someone the kind of things you are uncertain if you can/should control?

Can you give us some examples?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Vic has the right of it.

You cannot control everything, and that is scary. Knowing what things to let go of is not easy either.

The fear of the unknown clouds everything you haven't tried. So try.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Worry and Control
(May 4, 2015 at 7:08 am)EvidenceVersusFaith Wrote: Why worry about things you can't control? Fair enough.

Why worry about things you can? Fair enough.

What if you are uncertain whether you can or can't control it though? That's why I worry.

I may be trying and struggling to control something I can't but I wrongly think I can and waste time and effort and make things worse instead of better.

Or I may miss an opportunity because I think I can't control something, or something is not worth controlling, when I either can control it or it is not only controllable definitely worth controlling.

See, that's why I worry.  Not because of lack of control, not because of control... but because of uncertainty of control and uncertainty of worthwhileness of control.

That's why I worry.

Remember this. The only thing you can control are your choices. Everything else is out of your control.

With that said, if you take every situation imaginable and worried about it, you would never have a more desirable outcome compared to if you didn't worry about it.

No situation is improved by the act of worrying. None. Worry is anxiety and anxiety is irrational.
I get what you are saying the question of control is a hard one to answer.

Yes anxiety is irrational as long as you are on the outside looking in.  However, when you are the one with anxiety you are not in a rational state of mind so it can turn into a downward spiral.

I like to meditate and examine my feelings both good and bad before it can turn into anxiety
I find writing things out can definitely help. For example, I could write out the facts about the situation, my possible courses of action, and then the pros and cons for each course of action. I tend to find it easier to think about it objectively that way, rather than it all bouncing around my head in a tangled mess.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 4, 2015 at 7:08 am)EvidenceVersusFaith Wrote:

That's why I worry.

Let me try and put your mind at rest. 
I don't mean to come across cynical, but the longer you live, the more you realize, that you in fact control f*** all. At most, you may have some choices - if you're lucky, but they're also largely inconsequential. 
So I wouldn't worry too much about it. 
Just buckle up and enjoy the ride.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Off topic: Thread title would make an awesome philosophical book title. Up there with Being and Nothingness or Being and Time, or War and Peace, Crime and Punishment.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 5, 2015 at 8:08 am)Alex K Wrote: Off topic: Thread title would make an awesome philosophical book title. Up there with Being and Nothingness or Being and Time, or War and Peace, Crime and Punishment.

Apples and Oranges, Dust to Dust... wait, no

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When your relatives worry you, part Xth. Gawdzilla Sama 8 888 February 21, 2020 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Don't worry about me! Mystic 14 849 March 19, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  A great way to control appetite. purplepurpose 4 1743 January 28, 2017 at 1:32 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Control purplepurpose 28 2419 July 22, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  USA and Gun control TheMonster 50 4858 July 12, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Something else to worry about downbeatplumb 0 685 May 11, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Sad A personal and worry question Reforged 14 4870 June 5, 2012 at 4:23 am
Last Post: fr0d0