Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist?
Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist?
I hope you're all having a good day,i've been busy so wasn't online for a few days,I have a question that do we need to study religions to know that God doesn't exist,it feels so obvious to me that God doesn't exist and religions are false even thought i don't know much about any religions other than Islam,People told me that i need to research,what's there to need? religious scripts are just fiction,they have no solid logic or evidence

P.S i really hate all the Muslims now,their circular reasoning and stubbornness has twisted my mind even more lol,is it common to hate your former religion?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
RE: Do we need to study all the religions to that God doesn't exist?
I don't have the time or energy to put into disproving everything I've heard about, but don't believe exists. Even trying to disprove all the different deities people have come up with would be too much.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Do we have to study all the variants of witchcraft to know it's a pile of hooey? That West African juju is all a bunch of crap! But that Santaria baby, yeah, that totally works!

If the makers of the claim can't make their case, they can all go take a walk.
I don't feel that studying religions turns people into atheists. I hear atheists often say that nothing creates more atheists than reading the bible. I don't share this belief, but it may work for some. Although, it should create many non-religious people.

Yes, I hate Catholicism, and all branches of christianity, because I was raised in it. However, I don't hate christians in general. The more religions I study, the more religions I hate.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
RE: Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist?
We can't know that for sure

but honestly, at three sentences in the bible is enough to become an atheist
The sensible, sceptical approach isn't about trying to prove god doesn't exist, it's about saying there is no reason to believe it does exist. Some people go further (myself included) and believe it doesn't exist, the justification usually being either lack of evidence for such an extraordinary claim, or lack of a coherent/testable definition of what god is supposed to be. That's pretty good justification. Going further to say you know it doesn't exist is harder to justify but usually unnecessary.

So no, there's really no need to consider all religions. None of them have anything beyond oral myths and story books. If they do, I'm not aware of it. And I'm sure they'd have let us know by now!

I'm comfortable just saying I have no reason to believe god does exist, just like I do with dragons, faeries, goblins etc. I don't feel the need to try and disprove them or claim I know they don't exist, there's an infinite number of things you can't prove doesn't exist. It's a waste of time. Anyone using this argument to defend god is using the argument from ignorance fallacy.

This may clarify:

http://robvalue.wix.com/atheism#!what-is-atheism/c57k

http://robvalue.wix.com/atheism#!agnosti...stic/c1xja

Personally, even if a god does exist, I don't care. I wouldn't change how I live my life. Until I actually know anything about it, I have no reason to think it affects anything.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The study of religions isn't likely to get us anywhere near the truth, such as it may be, of the focal god of that religion - anymore than children's letters to Santa can tell us anything about the nature of the Jolly Old Elf.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:Do we need to study all the religions to know that God doesn't exist?

No...Let the shitheads who believe in such nonsense provide the evidence.  I have better things to do.
Weird,

all forms of Mormon, EXCEPT the Congregation of Jehovah's Presbytery of Zion are TOTAL BULLSHIT, but that one is THE ONE TRUE FAITH !!!!

PRAISE BANEEMY !!!

( OK, I'll fess up, think about it; isn't that the mindset of ALL the sectarian schismatic Christers? And if it ain't, why daffuq they schism in the first place?)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

No, we do not. 

To encapsulate Sagan's 'Reflections On A Grain Of Salt', consider a microgram or so of NaCl.  This speck - barely large enough to be seen with the naked eye - contains atoms.  A LOT of atoms.  A hugely mind-warpingly large number of atoms.  In fact, there are more atoms in this speck of salt than there are synapses in the human brain.  At first consideration, in order to 'know' the grain of salt, we would have to know, at a minimum, the position of each atom or chlorine and each atom of sodium.  This is more information that the human brain, or even several human brains, is capable of holding (there's actually a lot more to know, such at direction of spin, etc, of all atoms).

But human brains have the capacity to figure out rules according to which sodium and chlorine combine.  Thus, with, say, around ten bits of information, we can 'know' everything we need to know about common table salt. 

Religionists are fond of telling us that, since, we haven't been everywhere in the universe and examined - in minutest detail - all of existence, we can never be sure that God doesn't exist (it never occurs to them that, with the same strictures , they can never be sure that God does exist).  But again, we can come up with rules - good, reliable, rules that actually work when it comes to describing how the universe operates.  Instead of viewing volcanic eruptions as some sort of Holy Jism, we have volcanology.  Instead of a windstorm being a divine fart, we have meteorology.  In sort there simply isn't anything for God to do.

And a God with nothing to do is no God.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 910 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 974 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14142 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3009 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1908 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 13573 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5616 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5090 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8644 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 29544 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet