Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How I Got Over
How I Got Over
My soul looks back and wonders how I could have believed all that craziness.

"Believe that you receive it and ye shall have it," the man said. It was written. so when the prophet Kenneth Hagin came to my church, I went up for prayer, fully expecting that when he laid his hands on me, the power of god would flow through his hands and my ears would pop open and I'd be able to hear a gnat piss on cotton. I expected my eye sight to be so clear I could see the boogers up an ant's nose.

Of course, nothing of the sort happened, so I made excuses.  My faith was the problem. Maybe what I thought was faith wasn't really. Maybe there'll be a delayed effect. Maybe I'm doing something to hinder my faith. Maybe I put my faith in the man instead of in god. Maybe everything except this stuff is a bunch of crap.

I was indoctrinated in the Word of Faith movement. Then I went to a Christian university with heavy Calvinist leanings. Trying to reconcile the teachings of these two divergent denominations nearly drove me insane. I became afraid of death. Not my death, but the death of those around me. I didn't trust god to keep people alive unless I prayed for them with faith.I  didn't have enough faith for a routine healing. How was I going to have enough faith to stay the hand of the Grim Reaper? Besides I didn't know what to pray for. I prayed for one uncle and another one died.

If what I experienced weren't clinical panic attacks, they might as well have been. After a while, I got tired of putting myself through so many emotional changes.  It would still be decades before I gave my  "personal relationship with Jesus" the deep six, but all this laid the foundation for me to question a religion that promised the world but delivered explanations.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How I Got Over
Everyone who gets scammed by a con artists...be it religion or a phony real estate deal...walks away saying "how could I be so stupid."

It's easy.  In both cases you were worked over by professional crooks.
Good job getting out of there, Rhonda

Don't feel bad about having believed it, religion is designed to fool and emotionally blackmail people, otherwise it would just die out
Yeah, don't feel bad.

I chuckled at the insect references Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It's important to recognize that our brains are wired for emotion. It isn't even physiologically possible for us to examine something with pure logic without going through an emotional filter. Some of us have more control over that filter than others, it seems. We are not creatures of pure logic though; we have our limitations.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(May 9, 2015 at 1:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Everyone who gets scammed by a con artists...be it religion or a phony real estate deal...walks away saying "how could I be so stupid."

That might be the nicest post of yours I have ever read.

To Rhondazvous:

It is also easier to con people when they are young and impressionable.  Everyone starts off naive and dependent, ignorant of the ways of the world, and one typically learns to trust those who protect and raise one.  Think of all of the children who are suckered into believing in Santa and all sorts of other nonsense.  Pretty much anyone can be conned, and pretty easily, too, if we are talking about when the person is young and impressionable.

So, you being conned when young does not make you more inherently foolish than people generally are.  You just lack a superhuman ability to always know the truth, like everyone else.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I'm not striving for Miss Congeniality, Py.

Angel
Min:

[Image: images.jpeg]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 9, 2015 at 1:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Everyone who gets scammed by a con artists...be it religion or a phony real estate deal...walks away saying "how could I be so stupid."

You never lied. they saw me coming.

(May 9, 2015 at 1:42 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Good job getting out of there, Rhonda

Don't feel bad about having believed it, religion is designed to fool and emotionally blackmail people, otherwise it would just die out

"Emotional blackmail." There you go!
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(May 9, 2015 at 3:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm not striving for Miss Congeniality, Py.

Angel

It was intended as a compliment, not as something else.  You demonstrated genuine compassion and understanding.  Is that a bad thing?  I don't think so, whatever anyone else might imagine.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prison got me thinking about atheism Reasoned 10 3795 February 12, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  How I got Out of Religion. Rev. Rye 86 25300 March 12, 2010 at 7:59 am
Last Post: tackattack