Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[rant] Gave church 5 months to answer my questions. What was I thinking?
[rant] Gave church 5 months to answer my questions. What was I thinking?
So, back in January, I became an atheist, but I decided to continue attending church. I kept going for three reasons:

1. I wanted to be with my girlfriend
  2. To give the church one final chance to bring me back, in hopes I'd get answers to my questions and see evidence
  3. Because they offer food every weekend (I know. I'm greedy.)

What was I thinking?

Despite my girlfriend being there, I still say I ended up wasting time because I could spend any other time of the week with her, but I chose sunday, at church where we barely talk, add to that the feeling that I was participating in indoctrinating young impressionable children, because 1) I didn't want the teacher who knew I was an atheist to think I was turning people from their... uh... religion, and 2) me and my girlfriend would attend sunday school in hopes of interacting with each other more. I feel selfish because of that. I would participate in teaching children fairy tales as historical fact rather than teach reasoning and critical thinking skills just so I could be with my girlfriend. I ended up going with the flow because if I taught critical thinking to the kids, and that critical thinking ended up bringing them to Atheism, I'd probably never be welcomed to the church again because Atheism is this "horrible disease" and viewed as pure evil instead of something beneficial to society, and the teachers would have to undo the "damage" I've done with even MORE indoctrinating, or maybe, because they're so young, intimidation. "You're gonna burn in hell if you don't stop questioning what we're shoving down your throat." In fact, we're sew ay-val that we can't run for public office in some states.

Now I know how the YouTube atheists felt when I was christian spreading the "Good news of da lawd." Now that I have experienced that annoyance myself, along with feeling no freedom whatsoever, I can honestly say I'm sorry to those I've pushed my religious beliefs on... sincerely.

So, since I didn't get the answers I was looking for, and I don't feel free in Church anymore, considering I have to keep my hell trap shut about ANY sort of reasoning and critical thinking and opposing arguments to the existence of God, I think I've decided enough is enough. So, today was my last time attending church. I honestly think that by continuing to go there after my deconversion, I wasted some of the little time I have remaining of my life. Well, thanks to the internet, I don't think I need to feel trapped anymore. Hopefully by leaving church officially, I can let go of that "feeling" god exists. Either that, or I need to move out, considering there's still a bit of religious influence in my house.

God, I can't wait until atheists are the majority.

...end rant...
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: [rant] Gave church 5 months to answer my questions. What was I thinking?
Not sure that's happening any time soon.

But, glad you're back. I wouldn't feel like I wasted time if I were searching for my own truth. If I have to make sure I have all the information, then I will do that. You didn't waste 5 months, IMO. You were doing worthwhile work.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Keep seeking, IanHullet. Don't take your church or us as gospel. Use your own brain and YOU decide.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Welcome back Ian Smile

It must be hard to sit there and say nothing while indoctrination is going on. Any belief system which discourages questions is highly suspicious to me.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do we look like the Shell Answer Man? onlinebiker 8 594 December 7, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I have given up smoking 6 months ago , but ... Megabullshit 95 3466 April 1, 2020 at 6:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  youtube recommendation algorithm gave me this gem Cepheus Ace 0 263 April 27, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6138 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1061 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Jeopardy categories where AF members are the answer Mr.Obvious 30 3069 March 29, 2019 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10734 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2331 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 751 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  11 months Joods 24 1897 June 2, 2018 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Jackalope