Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Thrill Is Gone, BB King Dies 89
The Thrill Is Gone, BB King Dies 89
Wasn't into his music myself, but always knew who he was. He had a big impact on all types of music and certainly his fans and the music world will miss him.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/ma...as-aged-89
RE: The Thrill Is Gone, BB King Dies 89
That's a damn shame. Some of my older relatives liked his music.
I've been to his club for other concerts ...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Even though I never got into his music, his stuff I always heard in passing like on TV or in movies, I could see how he impacted everything not just jazz or R&B or Hip Hop, but Clapton and country, rock and heavy metal.

One thing I hate about laypeople and music, they don't understand no matter the type of music, those who get to the top do not have mono chromatic tastes. If you have a favorite type of music, odds are BB King had an impact on your favorite music, even if not directly.
Damn shame, but I can't say the news comes as a surprise. I saw BB and Buddy Guy at the Mud Island amphitheater at least 10 years ago now. Even then the band had to bring out a stool for him to sit on right from the start of the show. It was all he could do to hobble out and take a seat. He could still play that guitar though.

RIP BB. You'll be missed.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Damn. This is a sad thing.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
In high school and beginning college I had a physical, menial job working for Safeway. I think I was condensing the back room the first time I heard "The Thrill Is Gone". Stopped what I was doing and just took it in. Stopped on the way home and bought it too. Such a wonderful piece.
He left a legacy.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I'm sad he's gone but it's no surprise. I love his work and can think of no other tribute I can make (not being a musician myself) than to find a woman named Lucille and lovingly finger her until she screams and wails.
It's a damn shame. Me and my Dad are big blues fans, and while I tend to focus more on the acoustic pre-war Blues, we still loved his work.

Here's my favorite of his later works (or at least a piece that featured his work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lmZL7vT5hk
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roe v. Wade is gone. Jehanne 630 47443 5 hours ago
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 357 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Black female Dr. dies of covid. Treatment in question. brewer 2 424 December 30, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First person cured of HIV dies of cancer Foxaèr 1 453 October 1, 2020 at 9:09 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Mythbusters Grant Imahara dies. Brian37 17 813 July 14, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  HBO removes Gone with the wind. ignoramus 156 6642 June 29, 2020 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Mad Mike Hughes dies The Valkyrie 41 2314 February 29, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Art Neville Dies chimp3 5 519 July 22, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Paul Krassner Dies! chimp3 1 254 July 22, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Leon Redbone dies today! chimp3 5 725 June 2, 2019 at 2:52 am