Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please remove the gender identifier.
I would like to formally request that those running this site remove all reference to gender from the profile.

This is motivated by this thread:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-33357.html

Here is what I have posted in that thread:

(May 15, 2015 at 2:40 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(May 15, 2015 at 1:31 am)ignoramus Wrote: Why are the majority of users'' "gender" status in their bio still showing "undisclosed"?

It is totally irrelevant to most things that are posted.  You frankly do not need to know, in almost all cases.

I am reminded of something my wife told me.  In her youth, she communicated with people on message boards.  In those days, it was mostly men who did such things.  Since they could not see her, they did not know she was a young girl, and she was treated quite differently than how she was treated in real life.  If she had said she was a young girl, people would not have taken her as seriously as they did.  They communicated with her like an equal.  She found the experience interesting.

So, I recommend that everyone select a gender neutral name (or one that might be taken as gender neutral), and not tell people what one's gender is, unless it is relevant to a specific point, and then only mention it at the time, rather than put it in one's description.

Anyone who believes sexism no longer exists, is an idiot.  In fact, so much of an idiot, that I do not even want to waste any time arguing with such a braindead moron.

So, I, for one, will not put in a gender designation.  I will only do so if one were required by the site.  And given the options that are available here, I would then select "Other."

Really, do you need to know what my genitals are like in order to evaluate my posts?  (Or what I consider my genitals to be, or wish they were, or any other goddamned thing about genitals and how one feels about them?)  Will it make what I state better or worse due to my genitals?  What could possibly be more irrelevant to know?

But I do thank you for bringing up this topic, and I think I may make a suggestion to those who run this site to remove the gender designation entirely.

I think it is best to keep people guessing.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Please remove the gender identifier.
But, there are people who don't want to keep everyone guessing. How 'bout we leave the gender disclosure, and you do you and let others do others?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I'm guessing that you're just mad that they don't have shemale as an option.
It's not a requirement; it's there for the benefit of those who want to use it. We'd need a lot more than the request of one person before we take away the option for everyone.

(On a related note, I find it interesting that you feel so strongly about gender identifiers and then feel the need to point out that you have a wife. Not strictly speaking a gender identifier in the modern age, of course, but I'm left wondering why you should give away such clues?)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think there should be at least 52 options for gender.
My wife just did a "is your brain male or female" test on my behalf from facebook, and it came back that I was 50/50. Well balanced, it said. I would have thought I'd come out slightly more female.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
What? I simply don't get where you're coming from. If you want to tell people your gender, do so. If you don't, then don't. If you want to know someone's gender, and that person is fine with letting you know, then look it up. If either of those things aren't true, then don't.

And you want us to all choose gender-neutral names?! So we're not treated differently?!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Clap Well said.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.
Vive la différence!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I please haz hugs? Losty 63 12073 May 1, 2018 at 5:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Remove Vulgar Thread Titles Neo-Scholastic 191 16854 March 20, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Please Make This Thread a Sticky in the Philosophy Forum Rhondazvous 1 1151 March 10, 2017 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Please Allow Me to Edit this Post Rhondazvous 18 2555 December 30, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  PLEASE add Soundcloud support bennyboy 73 6561 June 29, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Please help me, urgent Foxaèr 17 2737 April 15, 2015 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Mods.. please cry like a baby here fr0d0 83 10564 September 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Um help please? BrokenQuill92 20 3266 January 18, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Everything I write turns into 'undefined' please help Bad Wolf 6 1996 December 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Private Profiles, Please RonaldReagansGhost666 10 2884 March 9, 2013 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Aractus