Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Sailor.
Ask a Sailor.
I saw a lot of threads like this and decided to try one out.

Ask any questions you have about the Navy (I realize that half of them will be about sexuality).  Big Grin

Bring it.
“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” 
-Isaac Asimov

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
-Douglas Adams
RE: Ask a Sailor.
Is it true you all start off as cabin boys?

[j/k]
I didn't start out as a cabin boy, though I am sure many do.

Most of our training does consist of how to be a kiss-up and how to properly put on your pair of kneepads.
-Isaac Asimov

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
-Douglas Adams
from an old sailor: is it true you can get kicked out for "alcohol related incidents"?
From what I've heard, absolutely not. But lets wait to hear from a real sailor.
It truly depends on the command. The Navy has definitely changed from what my parents described as how it used to be (they were both in around the 80's-90's). From what I know of here, you can get separated for ARI's, but it isn't as likely as many would think. I've been here for about 21 months, and have seen 3 people get separated for it (but it also depends on what happens during the intoxication). One of those three spit on the CO...which is considered assault in a way. But yeah.
-Isaac Asimov

-Douglas Adams
Can what you have be called a modern Navy if you do not have any active aircraft carriers?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

We have plenty of active aircraft carriers. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
-Isaac Asimov

-Douglas Adams
(May 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm)Jericho Wrote: We have plenty of active aircraft carriers.  Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

We don't.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: We don't.

I'm not sure where you are from or what exactly you are saying, haha.

In terms of the USN, we have quite a few active carriers all over the place.
-Isaac Asimov

-Douglas Adams