Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Scientists discover warm blooded fish.
Scientists discover warm blooded fish.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-enviro...ef=Default

Quote:The large and colourful opah has become the first known "warm-blooded" fish, as scientists discovered it can regulate the temperature of its whole body.

The opah traps warmth from its flapping fins, which are well insulated by fat.
It uses that heat to keep its heart, brain and other organs warm while it swims to depths of hundreds of metres.
Other fish like tuna can warm specific body parts, boosting performance at key times, but whole-body "endothermy" has not been observed in a fish before.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Scientists discover warm blooded fish.
Don't worry, I'll make some calls. This will all be forgotten by tomorrow.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 17, 2015 at 6:44 am)robvalue Wrote: Don't worry, I'll make some calls. This will all be forgotten by tomorrow.

What will be forgotten?
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

see. it worked!
man, you are fast Rob.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 17, 2015 at 5:03 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-enviro...ef=Default

Quote:The large and colourful opah has become the first known "warm-blooded" fish, as scientists discovered it can regulate the temperature of its whole body.

The opah traps warmth from its flapping fins, which are well insulated by fat.
It uses that heat to keep its heart, brain and other organs warm while it swims to depths of hundreds of metres.
Other fish like tuna can warm specific body parts, boosting performance at key times, but whole-body "endothermy" has not been observed in a fish before.

Silly hype.   Exercising to keep warm is something any animal can do.   Real endothermy is based on special mitochrondria adaptation that allows the animal to generate body heat without exercising.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do fish feel pain? FlatAssembler 49 1620 April 11, 2024 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Our Wold may end, according to leading scientists. Jehanne 8 531 April 15, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Penis fish Fake Messiah 5 569 December 14, 2019 at 11:24 am
Last Post: no one
  PERVS beware, scientists are coming for you pigs! Alex K 4 846 August 13, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  FDA release on fish brewer 0 562 January 19, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Scientists turn "straight" rats into "gay" rats. Foxaèr 20 5641 November 6, 2015 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Blowing Scientists Minds Blondie 34 6353 October 22, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  One step closer to proving abiogenesis? Scientists create "Near-Living Crystal" Ryantology 41 16595 January 31, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  We are genetically closer to the puffer fish? Rob_W75 17 3185 August 30, 2014 at 4:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Scientists: 100 million worlds may have complex alien life in our galaxy pocaracas 14 5226 June 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13