Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Co-Boss is Atheist
My Co-Boss is Atheist
My co-boss declared himself an atheist yesterday at work. He and I had talked about religion before. He said "If God exists, then he wouldn't have taken my wife from me." Sad story: his wife died of brain tumors. He declared himself after I was calling a coworker a sinner jokingly and then clarifying that I don't believe in 'sin' because I'm an atheist. My co-boss, overhearing my joking proudly spoke up and said 'Me too!' I was surprised. I'm not sure what other reasons he has for being atheist, but I don't think his loss is reason enough for everyone to be atheist. I personally think the problem of evil is a fraction of why anyone shouldn't believe in a 'loving deity'. What do you think about his reason for being atheist?
RE: My Co-Boss is Atheist
He probably just has a fully functioning brain, that usually does the trick Big Grin
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Good for him.. And you. And I must admit that I'm still staggered that there are places left in the civilised world where coming out as an atheist is even an issue, in fact, before I started posting here I wasn't even aware that being an atheist was something you 'came out' about at all!

If I where to go into an office, factory or similar work environment here and proudly announced that I was an atheist most of the people would either say, me too or so what :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
yeah, some places still take religion seriously. A foreign student was rejected from her assigned family because she was an atheist, nearby. The funny part was that they were primarily concerned with her not believing in a god at all. "YOU MUST BELIEVE AT LEAST ONE GOD!"
I'm glad I live here then Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
People who become atheists due to a tragedy may return to their roots if they are are not steeped in indoctrination. I might leave out a copy of the Portable Atheist for him to browse.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Quote:"If God exists, then he wouldn't have taken my wife from me."

I actually don't agree with him. All one has to do is read the bible to see that god was portrayed as a prick right from the start.

He has reached a correct conclusion through incorrect evidence. But....whatever it takes.
(April 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Good for him.. And you. And I must admit that I'm still staggered that there are places left in the civilised world where coming out as an atheist is even an issue, in fact, before I started posting here I wasn't even aware that being an atheist was something you 'came out' about at all!

Me neither. I was shocked to find creationists in the Netherlands. Before then I'd always assumed that either people went to church on Sundays and went about their own business for the rest of the week. Then I found out that being an atheist is actually a minority position and I really had a hard time believing that grown up people take that stuff seriously.

Then I started working for an American company...
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(April 10, 2010 at 11:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:"If God exists, then he wouldn't have taken my wife from me."

I actually don't agree with him. All one has to do is read the bible to see that god was portrayed as a prick right from the start.

He has reached a correct conclusion through incorrect evidence. But....whatever it takes.

I disagree as that someone should use that as their only reason but it's not a bad reason IMO
(April 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm)LEDO Wrote: People who become atheists due to a tragedy may return to their roots if they are are not steeped in indoctrination. I might leave out a copy of the Portable Atheist for him to browse.

yeah, it's very easy for a person with such a weak foundation (in his case an emotional argument) to be easily thrown off by 'intelligent design ' or the 'first cause argument' I don't think I'll be getting him to actually take a book about atheism, though.
(April 11, 2010 at 5:52 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(April 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Good for him.. And you. And I must admit that I'm still staggered that there are places left in the civilised world where coming out as an atheist is even an issue, in fact, before I started posting here I wasn't even aware that being an atheist was something you 'came out' about at all!

Me neither. I was shocked to find creationists in the Netherlands. Before then I'd always assumed that either people went to church on Sundays and went about their own business for the rest of the week. Then I found out that being an atheist is actually a minority position and I really had a hard time believing that grown up people take that stuff seriously.

Then I started working for an American company...

It goes all down from there...