Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I guess I should introduce myself
I guess I should introduce myself
So it occurred to me I just wandered onto your forum and started posting without introducing myself like a stranger barging into your conversation.

My life has been one of extremes. I had a very unhappy childhood. My mother struggled with alcoholism and was verbally and physically abusive. I grew up in a rural area with no kids nearby so I spent much of my time reading or lost in my imagination which made me very socially awkward. That in combination with being much younger than my classmates and thus smaller made me an easy target for bullies. The only fond memories I have from my childhood was the summers I spent in Louisiana with my grandfather.

I first had doubts about Christianity when I was 12. This prompted me to do more research both in the bible as well as science publications and I found the evidence did not support any of the religions I was aware of. I formally became atheist when I was around 15. This led to more division from my peers as I attended Catholic school.

As an adult though I couldn't be happier. I enjoy my job and while not rich I'm able to pay our bills with money left over. I've been married for just under 8 years to a wonderful woman who I adore. I have an 18 month old son who I could not be prouder of and another child due in December.

I have been enjoying the discussions and I really like the community.
RE: I guess I should introduce myself
Welcome aboard.
Hi Hi

Seen you around....not that I spy on people or anything
Welcome!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome!

I never did an introduction thread myself. I figure if someone is curious about me, they can look at the bio information I have provided, and then they will know all they need to know about me.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Thanks for sharing your story Smile I'm very sorry to hear about your childhood. For different reasons, mine sucked too and I've blocked most of it out. I was continually bullied as well.

I'm really glad to hear that you are very happily married and enjoying your life with your son! Congrats on seeing through the BS at such a young age.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome!
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Welcome, welcome.
Do enjoy your stay around here... although I know you won't enjoy it as much as you enjoy your wife.... Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Letter to Myself scamper 8 1033 October 14, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Hello again i guess? SlowCalculations 8 935 May 31, 2019 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Alan V
  My Introduction, I guess NickPercent 18 3507 January 27, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Antares
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3681 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3880 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  Allow me to introduce myself. I bring a gift for everyone. Adrian Ferrer 18 2163 March 26, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1578 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  From Jesus to just Myself Wrikudoro 13 3335 February 8, 2016 at 3:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Yeah, I'm a Pratchett nut, how'd you guess? GUBU 16 2975 September 13, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Myself John Algar 17 2364 September 9, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Longhorn