Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good job, Nebraska! I think I'll have some celebratory corn tonight.
Good job, Nebraska! I think I'll have some celebratory corn tonight.
Atta boys and girls! Welcome to the 21st century.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/us/neb....html?_r=0

A lovely picture, too. That's the look of people who done did the right thing.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Good job, Nebraska! I think I'll have some celebratory corn tonight.
"Oh, no! Now, crime is going to go rampant... that was the only deterrent there was!"
They'll have to rely purely on God's wrath from now on. It's the pious thing to do, anyway, don't you think?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

That can become problematic when the pious take it to them to actually do god's job and apply their wrath as if it were god's wrath...
{repost from republicunt thread}

Reasons for the change in the Nebraska death penalty are somewhat diffuse, my take is there are quite a few factors;

expense of the appeals process

decades long appeals process

'messy' protests against penalty on the few occasions they have managed to schedule one

unfairness in regards to some really nasty perps not getting even close to an execution date

PO the governor (maybe) he vetoed the bill and it was over ridden, so he may not be that popular in the unicameral

State Senator Ernie Chambers has been working on this for decades, rest of legislators were fatigued from efforts to defend it

ACLU and churchy folks united to apply pressure, some shaming might have worked

what's the difference between having death penalty without an execution since '97, and not having a death penalty ?

death penalty debate was distracting legislature from their true calling; raising taxes and pissing money down rat holes

old age and suicide seemed to be the biggest threats to life and limb on death row
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nice. 50 points to Nebraska!
(May 28, 2015 at 10:43 am)vorlon13 Wrote: what's the difference between having death penalty without an execution since '97, and not having a death penalty ?

I guess it makes a lot of a difference for the convicts. Not having to live with the prospect of someone deciding to act on your sentence for starters. And for the advancement of civilization the difference is even larger.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
If you have the death penalty, and the likes of Michael Ryan are on death row for almost 30 years and there still isn't an execution date, you don't have a death penalty. The repeal was an acknowledgement of the reality of the situation. Made Governor Ricketts look like a twit (again), and that might have been the clincher. The voters might be having a little election remorse over their governor too.

BTW, don't google Michael Ryan, even though the worst of what he did isn't on the internet, what is there will give you nightmares.

Back in the 90s Stephen Harper cheated Nebraska by committing suicide on death row. There might have been one or 2 more in the last 40 years, can't recall for sure.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

You are late to the party. There is already another thread on this:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-33650.html

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 463 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  has Biden done a good job as president? Drich 400 23011 May 23, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1022 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Biden to speak tonight Foxaèr 6 528 November 8, 2020 at 4:27 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone watch tonight's debate? Brian37 19 757 October 23, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Figbash
  I think I have found my favorite. Brian37 31 2879 March 2, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2301 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 7937 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  I Think This Is A Good Idea Minimalist 0 350 August 8, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do those Trump supporters really believe that he is doing a good job? NuclearEnergy 2 977 June 5, 2017 at 9:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger