Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Midldle Class" ruse in politics.
OP/ED......

The Insidious use of the term "Middle Class" in politics....... Don't get me wrong, outside the top everyone is getting hit hard. Democratic voters care about the stability of all workers. But this is one key ruse term the top uses to pit middle class republicans vs middle class democrats, not to mention republican poor vs democrat poor. We need to stop letting the GOP and the corporate overlords that term as a wedge issue. 

Any scientist can tell you, it isn't the strongest points, or the middle points in a structure that are most likely to break, but the weakest points. I think we need to stop putting it in terms of "Middle Class". Yes there are three classes, and no one should think we should rid our society of that diversity. But it really is as simple as "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". 

By allowing middle class voters of both parties to get pitted against each other, it allows the poor to drop further down and that pay gap hurts everyone and pulls more down which affects the "middle class". Instead of saying "Middle class", we need to put the responsibility where it its, at the top, the pay gap. The 1% is stepping on the necks of everyone else, and the way they get away with doing that is to pit everyone else against each other. 
RE: The "Midldle Class" ruse in politics.
Krugman's column touched on this today.

Quote:America remains, despite the damage inflicted by the Great Recession and its aftermath, a very rich country. But many Americans are economically insecure, with little protection from life’s risks. They frequently experience financial hardship; many don’t expect to be able to retire, and if they do retire have little to live on besides Social Security.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/opinion/paul-krugman-the-insecure-american.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

The religious right and their insidious use of fairly meaningless wedge issues have convinced a huge swath of poor people that it's in their best interest to elect people into office that will continue to siphon money to the already wealthy and ensure that each generation has the privilege of sending their young sons and daughters to a non-threatening foreign land to get maimed and die. Meanwhile they can look forward to a paupers existence in retirement and likely die early due to a condition that could have been corrected/prevented, but wasn't because they couldn't afford it. It's okay though, they'll be rewarded in heaven. Fucking sheep.

The left isn't much better. They're mostly distracted by constantly wondering how much real estate is consumed by a Kardashian ass day to day to ever seriously engage their fellow citizens in an attempt to wake them from their Jesus induced slumber. 
The left is right on social issues and economic issues, but like the right, shiny objects distract the left, but for different utopia carrots. The common enemy is greed.
The Middle Class ruse is a global phenomenon and it runs much deeper than your observations.

When I was a child, my father, owning two small shops, was considered Middle Class. He never was a millionaire though he could afford to build a house and get a new car off and on. Trained workers were considered Middle Class, civil Servants, craftsmen. Now, especially when conservatives talk about Middle Class it starts with millionaires and ends when scratching the billion. There has been a shift in terminology somewhere between the late 70ies and early 80ies.

When I was young it was natural to vote for the conservatives, since they were the party to stand for small shop owners and moderate business. Now they stand for corporate business and big money. That's the real ruse.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Neither party gives a crap about the people.

I know that most people here feel that the democrats just love them but it's not true. They hate you just as bad as the republicans do.
Hate would imply effort and anguish.  Try indifference (for either party)?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Aren't the democrats still kinda right wing though? They're right, they're just relatively left compared to the Republicans who are further right.

Not that it means anything, Corporate CEOs and greedy bankers will continue to abuse the system whoever is in power.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(May 29, 2015 at 5:53 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Hate would imply effort and anguish.  Try indifference (for either party)?

I imagine there's quite a bit of buying into their own bullshit, so I can see them viewing poor people as degenerate, indolent scum - which fuels their war against the working class most efficiently. So it might lie somewhere between hate and indifference, leaning towards the former.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(May 29, 2015 at 5:57 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: Aren't the democrats still kinda right wing though? They're right, they're just relatively left compared to the Republicans who are further right.

Not that it means anything, Corporate CEOs and greedy bankers will continue to abuse the system whoever is in power.

Money and greed can corrupt anything. I am ,tired of people making it about "they are both the same". No the money pitting everyone else against each other is the same, yes. But the ideas of empathy are the voters on the left. The fact that monopolies arise are not unique to our country. 

Friend and foe alike no matter borders all invest in the global market. But in the west the voters with empathy vote left.
Is that where the term "bleeding heart liberal " comes from?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2319 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 6374 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 323 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 732 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 470 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1224 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 892 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 366 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Politics WinterHold 23 1483 January 20, 2020 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Politics is a fairy tale about England Interaktive 6 877 December 27, 2019 at 5:31 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb