Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Um hi
Um hi
Hello everyone. You can call me Vinyl. I've been stalking this forum for a while now. Lets start with some short info on myself. I'm 17 years old. I enjoy reading, drawing digital art, and playing video games(preferably rpgs). I was born into a Christian household. My grandparents, mother, sister, and I would go to a church miles away into a city every Sunday. Personally I never felt like I had faith in god. Me and my sister wouldn't like going inside the church, and would rather sit in a hot car than going to some boring man preaching about a  all powerful man in the sky. I've been filled with these notions for years. I was very close to becoming a atheist 3 years ago. Until I was slowly getting into a relationship with a theist. I told them that I think I was atheist, and he didn't seem to like the idea of it. So I lied. I just went about it through the time and never thought about it again. My partner often mentioned the bible to me. But it wasn't something a huge thing to think about for me like I've said. Until one day when I thought about it again. I'd sit and watch the amazing atheist, cult of dusty, the armoured skeptic etc. It had me really thinking about a god existing. I then found really no compelling evidence a god would exist I also had a very intelligent friend whom was also a atheist and occasionally we talk about philosophy and take interest in it. Going on. I'm still in love with the theist and have been in a relationship with them for years. Whenever I mention god to them, they get upset with me and say I just need to read the bible some more. My partner has mentioned before that they'll respect me for what I choose. But, I still have this pressure from them, and my family. I recently announced to my grandma my questioning to god. My religious grandma has been a Christian for 50 years. Shes determined that I become a Christian 'again'. The pressure does eat me a lot. I've had my partner and grandma pressure me with pascal's wager. I'm trying all I can to recover, or even find more things about religion. What really sucks is when I talk to people face to face about religion I choke and get nervous, then I can't remember what I was going to say. Even though I have so much to talk about. I look forward to being on this forum and I'm happy to be in a community like this. It will be helpful for my recovery possibly. I'm very familiar with forums, I'm on a lot of them. So thank you for reading this and see you around.
RE: Um hi
Stick around here, and you'll at least be a solid agnostic in no time.

Welcome!
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
welcome

don't waste much of the time you're 17 worrying about shit. HAVE FUN.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Welcome aboard.
:wlecome: Vinyl.

Search with an open mind and you shall come to your own reality, whether that be believer or non.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome Vinyl!

I'm jealous. I wish I could be 17 again.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Hello Vinyl, welcome.

I'd say something about audio recordings but at 17, you probably wouldn't be interested.

Good luck with the family.  Maybe we could trade.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Hello matey....
Don't worry, be happy. Shy

Check out the mind boging evolution and genetic profiling docos on youtube.
You'll know if you stumble upon a religious funded doco ...It won't make sense! Smile
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hi there Hi
Hello and welcome!

P.s. Pascal's wager is just silly if you think about it. It's not even an argument.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition