Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ceteloguing the Tricks Theists Play
Ceteloguing the Tricks Theists Play
I think it's important to codify and catalogue the mind games theists play so we know what we are dealing with when we see them. This list of five is hardly exhaustive, so feel free to add things you have noticed.

1. They try to put the burden of proof on the non-believer.

2. They never lie. They simply say whatever they think is necessary to get their point across with no regard for whether what they are saying is true or not.  If it will convince someone to accept their religion, god is powerful enough to make it true.

3. They are ambulance chasers, looking for weaknesses and addictions to which they claim that god has the answer.

4. They present statements as if they were facts, then when we prove them wrong, they switch gears

5. When we point to something in the Bible that is obviously incorrect or of questionable morality, they play the bad hermeneutics card.

Edited by Pandæmonium - Sorry, don't ever normally edit the format of a member's post but that font colour was just not going to fly.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Ceteloguing the Tricks Theists Play
6. They shroud any ambiguities or contradictions by chanting "God works in mysterious ways".
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Could you change the colour please? I can barely read the yellow Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 2, 2015 at 7:02 am)robvalue Wrote: Could you change the colour please? I can barely read the yellow Smile
Just highlight the text.
7. They treat religious morality (what God wants) and actual morality (wellbeing versus harm of actions) as if they are the same thing. They do the same with sin and immorality. They may or may not be aware of the conflation, and the changing of definition mid argument.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
8. Thou shall not kill its a wonder there is theists in jail for doing that thing it pretty much tells them not to.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 2, 2015 at 7:02 am)robvalue Wrote: Could you change the colour please? I can barely read the yellow Smile

Hey Rob,

I don't know how that happened since I did nothing to alter the color. Is anyone else having this problem?  Let me know what I can do and I will do it.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

9 they will present unfalsifiable claims and assert that since you can't prove them wrong, they're true and will commit special pleading when countered with other similarly unfalsifiable claims
(June 2, 2015 at 8:57 am)dyresand Wrote: 8. Thou shall not kill its a wonder there is theists in jail for doing that thing it pretty much tells them not to.

In other words, they sow seeds to the flesh all week then go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure.

--Voltaire

(June 2, 2015 at 9:10 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(June 2, 2015 at 8:57 am)dyresand Wrote: 8. Thou shall not kill its a wonder there is theists in jail for doing that thing it pretty much tells them not to.

In other words, they sow seeds to the flesh all week then go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure.

Pretty much
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3141 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Turnabout is fair play LinuxGal 15 1384 November 11, 2022 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When logic fails, falsely play victim. Brian37 9 1053 January 31, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's Time to Play...WHO'S WORSE THAN YAHWEH! Astonished 37 11288 September 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Exclamation Hell and the Play Nice Christian Cinjin 202 30352 February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
Question Satan's Greatest TrickS (3) reverendjeremiah 0 1610 March 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah