Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended Reading Thread
Recommended Reading Thread
Hi Everyone

We've all on this site - atheist and theist alike - come on a long journey to get where we are today in terms of our beliefs and I'm sure that books have played a big part in that. So I thought it would be nice to create a thread where we could share our recommendations of the most influential books we've read... the ones that have really convinced us and made an impact on our beliefs. In other words the books that have helped make us who we are as atheists or theists.

So if you guys are game, I thought we could keep this as an ongoing thread with a post just being a book title and a short review, no repetition if possible (e.g. only one post for the Bible rather than one for every person who's read it Wink ), and perhaps with us kudosing a post to signify when we've read it. What do you think? Anyone interested in doing this?

Edited to add: I think it's gonna take way too much discipline to save kudosing til after you've read it so scrub that... just kudos as normal when something looks interesting or you've read it or you're going to or whatever Wink
RE: Recommended Reading Thread
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (all five books).

Not perhaps the most obvious choice, but given that Douglas Adams was a rather outspoken atheist (at the time), I think his most popular work is worth mentioning. It's not particularly anti-religious, but there are certainly digs at religion / religious thinking throughout. It's also probably one of the most hilarious books in existence, so well worth reading and listening to the radio series as well.

Some quotes:

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

"For instance, in one corner of the Eastern Galactic Arm lies the large forest planet Oglaroon, the entire intelligent population of which lives permanently in one fairly small and crowded nut tree. In which tree they are born, live, fall in love, carve tiny speculative articles in the bark on the meaning of life, the futility of death and the importance of birth control, fight a few extremely minor wars and eventually die strapped to the underside of some of the less accessible outer branches. In fact the only Oglaroonians who ever leave their tree are those who are hurled out of it for the heinous crime of wondering whether any of the other trees might be capable of supporting life at all, or indeed whether the other trees are anything other illusions brought on by eating too many Oglanuts."

"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much — the wheel, New York, wars and so on — whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man — for precisely the same reasons."
(June 2, 2015 at 7:52 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (all five books).

Not perhaps the most obvious choice, but given that Douglas Adams was a rather outspoken atheist (at the time), I think his most popular work is worth mentioning. It's not particularly anti-religious, but there are certainly digs at religion / religious thinking throughout. It's also probably one of the most hilarious books in existence, so well worth reading and listening to the radio series as well.

Some quotes:

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

"For instance, in one corner of the Eastern Galactic Arm lies the large forest planet Oglaroon, the entire intelligent population of which lives permanently in one fairly small and crowded nut tree. In which tree they are born, live, fall in love, carve tiny speculative articles in the bark on the meaning of life, the futility of death and the importance of birth control, fight a few extremely minor wars and eventually die strapped to the underside of some of the less accessible outer branches. In fact the only Oglaroonians who ever leave their tree are those who are hurled out of it for the heinous crime of wondering whether any of the other trees might be capable of supporting life at all, or indeed whether the other trees are anything other illusions brought on by eating too many Oglanuts."

"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much — the wheel, New York, wars and so on — whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man — for precisely the same reasons."
Here's another funny quote from the book:
"The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain, the practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language: the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix."[7]

It is a universal translator that neatly crosses the language divide between any species. The book points out that the Babel fish could not possibly have developed naturally, and therefore it both proves and disproves the existence of God:
Quote:Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.""But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.""Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic."Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. But this did not stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme for his best selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up for God. Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -Bertrand Russell

Even if god did exist, he has yet to prove it, and our doubt is justified.
Ahem....

This one's already seven pages. Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 2, 2015 at 8:48 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Ahem....

This one's already seven pages. Big Grin

Thanks, sorry didn't see that one  Blush I think I'm gonna love that thread  Wink

But just in case anyone is interested in keeping this one going as well, this would not be a general reading thread but one specifically about books that you feel have really strengthened your beliefs as an atheist/theist and you think could really benefit others the same.

Perhaps the thread needs a more descriptive title? Any suggestions while I can still edit it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upon reading this title, what first comes to mind? Foxaèr 8 356 November 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4134 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  What are you reading/was the last thing you read? KevinM1 4 895 April 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What are you reading right now? Excited Penguin 4 1314 October 25, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Atheist Reading Suggestions Jericho 24 4026 May 12, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Jericho
  Speed Reading ThePinsir 10 1614 April 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  What Are You Currently Reading EgoRaptor 50 5565 January 4, 2014 at 11:05 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  ANy Books recommended from atheist literature Faith Tester 7 2597 July 21, 2009 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet