Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Gotta Watch
Video 
You Gotta Watch
A thread devoted to making TV and Movie recommendations to those who would be interested.

Please keep your recommendations limited to TV Series or Movies and only one recommendation per post.
Also, give people a reason why it's great without giving away spoilers.  I need a reason to watch your show.
Lastly, tastes are subjective.  Don't insult people simply because they like a movie you didn't.  Hate the movie, don't hate the poster.

I'll go first, as I recently wrapped up a series that I was surprised to find was highly entertaining.

[Image: rating.jpg]

TV Series:  Salem
Found On:  Netflix
Why:
The show takes place in 17th Century Salem during the witch trials.  The twist is, that the witches are real.  
Yes, the show has very little historical accuracy, but it's fun as all hell and very well-written as storylines go. 
It shows the Puritans for the religious twits they were while offering good special effects, a fast-paced story, and a healthy dose of creepiness.

5 Stars
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: You Gotta Watch
TV Series: "Orange is the New Black"
Found On: Netflix Original
Why:
Non traditional take on prison TV shows based in a women's correctional facility. The acting, especially by  Uzo Aduba/Suzanne 'Crazy Eyes' Warren is very good and the writing is fresh and original. 4-1/2 stars.

New season starts, er.. gets put out on 6/12/2015 so get busy with the first two!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
TV Series:  Black Mirror

Why: Billed as a sort of British Twilight Zone, with only 3 episodes per season, and 2 seasons (I wish there were more!), each episode is a thoughtful and artful look at modern life and our twisted realities.

5 Stars
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
TV Series: The Ghosts Of Motley Hall
Found on: DVD; YouTube
Why:
Intelligently-written UK childrens' TV comedy series from a time when networks didn't talk down to children, by Richard Carpenter of Catweazle fame. It ran for three series (plus a xmas special) between 1976 and 1978. Starring Peter "Wallace and Gromit" Sallis, Freddie "Dune" Jones, Sheila Steafel, Arthur English, Nicholas Le Provost, and Sean Flanagan, the series follows the escapades of five mismatched ghosts drawn from different periods of the history of stately and very haunted Motley Hall and now trapped within its walls. English is Bodkin, a professional Elizabethan fool; Jones is the former Victorian head of the house, Sir George Uproar to whom it's always ten past four (his watch stopped when he did); Le Provost is his younger great grandfather Sir Francis "Fanny" Uproar, the dashing yet scatterbrained 17th century rake ("You know what a rake is?" "A long wooden thing?" "Yeah, that's Fanny..."); Flanagan plays Matt, the young stableboy and the only one able to move around the grounds, to the envy of the others; finally Steafel is the obligatory and mysterious White Lady, habitually wailing and tolling the bell ("I'm not a ghost... I'm a description!"). Rounding off the characters is Sallis as Gudgin, the very-much-alive estate agent tasked with looking after the Hall. He knows the place is haunted and the fact terrifies him.

Much of the humour comes from the fact that people generally are unable to see or hear the ghosts, though they can see objects moved by them. Occasionally, someone is able to see one or more of them, though the person may not realise they are ghosts. The acting is top notch, the cast are clearly having fun in their roles. The characters are delightfully written and the dialogue superb. I really can't rate this series high enough.

5 Stars
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
TV Series:  Californication
Why:
Admittedly, the show is a bit of a guilty pleasure.  It doesn't seem very realistic to me and if it is, than Hollywood is far more depraved than I imagined. 
Very funny with the occasional touch of heart.  The writing sort of goes stagnant towards the last season (thus the four stars), but up until then it's pretty decent.  The guest stars are fantastic. Both Tim Minchin and Rob Lowe are fucking fantastic and you won't be able to get enough of Minchin.  There's tons of sex and lots of vulgar conversations.  The whole show is based around the womanizing antics of the manchild character of David Duchovny.  Watch it.  Oh, and if you like Entourage, this will be right up your alley.  

4 Stars
[Image: Evolution.png]

(June 2, 2015 at 10:06 pm)Aroura Wrote: TV Series:  Black Mirror

Why: Billed as a sort of British Twilight Zone, with only 3 episodes per season, and 2 seasons (I wish there were more!), each episode is a thoughtful and artful look at modern life and our twisted realities.

5 Stars

Yes, love this

Did you see the recent Christmas special?
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I don't watch TV channels Interaktive 43 2978 January 27, 2023 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Anyone watch "Adam Ruins Everything"? Brian37 7 985 March 16, 2021 at 7:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Guys, Please watch this movie! I loved it. ignoramus 19 3143 September 1, 2017 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5059 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Anyone watch h3h3productions? Heat 0 895 January 15, 2016 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Watch this guy rip on Duck Dynasty. Brian37 0 733 May 17, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  List the shows you watch Foxaèr 48 6218 March 10, 2015 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Man saves ducks, MUST WATCH! Brian37 10 2602 September 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Watch as 1000 years of European borders change NoraBrimstone 3 950 March 18, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  YOU GUYS GOTTA WATCH THIS! Yahweh 1 917 December 30, 2013 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas