Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't ask me.
Don't ask me.
Why is there anything instead of nothing at all?

What is the nature of personal identity?

What is the purpose of a human being?

Why is the idea of a god so damned widespread and persistent?

Damned if I know.  You've got questions.  So do I.  Ask away.
RE: Don't ask me.
Philosophy concerning garden ponds: with fishies, or the other kind where tadpoles and such critters can live safely?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Did you just bump your head hard and awakened the god gene?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Why are we able to think, feel, emote, etc?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Martha Stewart
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
I won't.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I want her tomake me a pie. Think she'll make me an apple pie?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Why is there anything instead of nothing at all?

couple things there, empty universes don't tend to evolve beings that notice the emptiness, so we get a tiny bit of selection bias

- - and - -

it turns out, empty universes are unstable.  They experience staggeringly vast tracts of time instantly, and as a result, EXTREMELY unlikely events like Big Bangs suddenly popping up (out?) and filling that empty universe with 'stuff' that may or may not eventually result in something like earth, the internet, and my annoying cat, turn out to start happening 'instantly'.

Empty universes are going to be EXTREMELY scarce if we ever find a way to start looking for them . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Why not?
Dying to live, living to die.