Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Human's tale
A Human's tale
Much to your impending chagrin, I have decided to share the story of my path to enlightenment. My apologies are offered up front to anyone that reads the entire story in anticipation of a Hollywood ending. As a blue-collar American (currently laid-off, of course), I’m afraid that I could not afford the special effects.

My story begins in 1965. I was born to a U.S. Marine and his young bride. They were young, idealistic, and Catholic. I was baptized shortly thereafter. We went to Mass most every Sunday and on certain Holidays until I was nine years old. We said Grace before dinner on special occasions and said our prayers before bed each night, but that was as serious as it got. In my ninth year of being human, the priest at our church retired and my mother did not like the new one (for some reason), so we simply stopped going to church and active religion fell away from our lives. I never attended catechism, was never ‘confirmed’, and have never been sexually molested (against my will).

By the age of twelve, I could remember pretending to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, because if I admitted that I did not believe, there would be no more presents from them. I applied this kind of thinking to the whole ‘God’ thing and began to wonder if it was the same thing. From there, I became very interested in religion in general and Christianity specifically. I read everything I could get my hands on, including the Bible. By the age of fourteen, I was quite agnostic.

Sixteen years into my humanity, I had gained an understanding of evolution through natural selection and various other scientific explanations for things. That knowledge, combined with what I already knew about the irrational and unverifiable explanations that religion offered… well… I felt like my eyes had been opened. For the first time, I was able to speak the words, “I do not believe in God”. Of course, some small part of me still wondered, so I knew that I was not an atheist. Not yet.

When I was eighteen, I graduated high school and joined the U.S. Air Force. I listed myself as ‘Catholic’.

Not long into my enlistment, I discovered, much to my surprise, that there were a large number of people who thought the same way I did. I began to learn more and more and finally realized that there is simply no reason whatsoever to believe in god(s) and numerous reasons not to. I was now an atheist. No… I was an Atheist. Capital ‘A’. For several years, I was what I call a ‘Militant Atheist’. More accurately, I can say that I was an Anti-theist. Religion is a blight upon the world and we would all be better off it if did not exist, etc.

After my tour of duty was over, I came out to my parents. My father could care less, but my mother was quite upset. We had some epic arguments and mean things were said. I have since dropped the subject with her and we get along just fine.

Since then, I have continued to learn, I have aged, and I have mellowed. I have come to realize that religion is not going anywhere and that I must learn to coexist with it. The most important thing to me now is personal freedom for all. As long as you don’t hurt someone else, do what you like. Worship a bowl of Green Jello for all I care. Just don’t expect me to do the same.

As it stands now, I do not believe in anything that can be called supernatural. If, someday, I am presented with compelling evidence, I could gain a belief in something, even god(s). So far, I have not seen one scrap of that evidence.
RE: A Human's tale
(April 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: So far, I have not seen one scrap of that evidence.

Not even from Gilligan? Shock

Kudos on being enlightened btw Big Grin
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Nice story Smile Evidence isn't overrated - it's off topic (that is unless you consider the non scientific variety Wink)
(April 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Nice story Smile Evidence isn't overrated - it's off topic (that is unless you consider the non scientific variety Wink)

The topic is his life, surely his religious views are thus open for discussion, this would include evidence of God or against such.

If we want to question his reasons of being enlightened further then that would surely further the topic, rather than de-railing it.

(April 13, 2010 at 3:16 pm)Shinylight Wrote: The topic is his life, surely his religious views are thus open for discussion, this would include evidence of God or against such.

If we want to question his reasons of being enlightened further then that would surely further the topic, rather than de-railing it.

Indeed. Ask any questions you'd like. If I don't know the answers, I'll be more than happy to make something up for you.
Obviously you didn't just suddenly lose belief in God, but what was the final nail in the coffin for you?

lol @ make something up Big Grin

Scientific evidence is off the topic of religion I mean. If science is your religion, then fair enough. There have been worse perversions I'm sure Smile
(April 13, 2010 at 3:21 pm)Shinylight Wrote: Obviously you didn't just suddenly lose belief in God, but what was the final nail in the coffin for you?

Hmm. It was a gradual and overall natural progression for me. If there were a final nail in the coffin, it was probably at around 16 when I learned of the 'god of gaps' concept combined with a new fascination with science. I finally understood that I had never been presented with a rational, logical, or compelling reason to believe that god(s) exist. I searched for a reason for years. I have yet to find one.
(April 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm)Paul the Human Wrote:
(April 13, 2010 at 3:21 pm)Shinylight Wrote: Obviously you didn't just suddenly lose belief in God, but what was the final nail in the coffin for you?

Hmm. It was a gradual and overall natural progression for me. If there were a final nail in the coffin, it was probably at around 16 when I learned of the 'god of gaps' concept combined with a new fascination with science. I finally understood that I had never been presented with a rational, logical, or compelling reason to believe that god(s) exist. I searched for a reason for years. I have yet to find one.

God of the Gaps makes me laugh, so many theists don't even realise what they are doing when they use it.

(April 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm)Shinylight Wrote: God of the Gaps makes me laugh, so many theists don't even realise what they are doing when they use it.
Indeed. More proof that science ≠ religion (excepting our common or garden fruit loops)