Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm so good at this
I'm so good at this
So I just re-entered college pursuing my second Bachelor's degree for a belated start in a career I actually am excited about.

I went to a college where everyone was a 4.0 student, class president, sports team captain. Getting into a service academy is only slightly easier than getting into MIT or Harvard. The acceptance rate is lower, in any case. So I was constantly around people that were my intellectual peers.

I am now attending a state college, and it is a totally different experience. Not that everyone is stupid---far from it. I'm just in a different league than I'm used to. And it's...nice. Even something as simple as this GenEd History class that I am taking right now (Naval History apparently doesn't count as an American History course) has me stifling myself from answering the prof's questions to the class all the time, if only just to break the silence.

I'm just saying. I got this.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: I'm so good at this
Excellent, Steel! Congrats and good luck Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
That's brilliant! Go kick some ass Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yay! Good on you, Steel! So happy for you Big Grin

Hi5

[Image: giphy.gif]
Sounds like a great time! Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

You are obviously not going to enough keggers. I feel sorry for you.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Oh, dude, I have no doubt that you fucking got this. Haha You won't say it (cuz of humblemilitude), but I will- Sometimes it's nice to be the big fish.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Any clues for us regarding the new direction/major?

It really feels unfair when you come back to college after being in the work force, doesn't it? You've got your motivation sorted out, you're there are on perfect and the siren call of the scene doesn't work on you.

Best of luck!
Thanks everyone! You all are so freaking rock and roll it hurts.

(June 4, 2015 at 8:24 am)whateverist Wrote: Any clues for us regarding the new direction/major?  

It really feels unfair when you come back to college after being in the work force, doesn't it?  You've got your motivation sorted out, you're there are on perfect and the siren call of the scene doesn't work on you.

Best of luck!

I'm switching gears from life with an Aeronautical Engineering degree to studying Computer Science for professional applications. I want to be a software developer. But a cool one. Tongue
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Good for you! By State college I think you mean public college, right? I've been attending public university since 2011 and it's much better, specially because you don't pay anything and only the best students are accepted.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good night good luck from dyresand 0 979 May 24, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand