Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you think of Richard Dawkins's old forum?
What did you think of Richard Dawkins's old forum?
I remember it was a really big forum but I never posted there.
RE: What did you think of Richard Dawkins's old forum?
The only otherForum I have frequented is the Darwin awards website forums.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I didn't even know Dawkins had a forum. Personally I don't go round the web looking up what the prominent atheists are up to. I occasionally watch some Dawkins vids on the web. Not because of his atheism, but because of his general humerous attitude, which is something many atheist figureheads are sorely missing.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I posted there for a short time ... about a week. It dawned on me that it was a minefield of pedants, sycophants, and assholes, so I left for different pastures.

I couldn't keep up with it.  Way too much traffic.  You'd post something and two hours later you were wading through 3 pages of replies.  It got to be like homework.
(June 6, 2015 at 11:56 am)Minimalist Wrote: I couldn't keep up with it.  Way too much traffic.  You'd post something and two hours later you were wading through 3 pages of replies.  It got to be like homework.

I'm surprised that TTA isn't like this.
I thought it was one of the scariest places on the internet.  Some atheists were trying to turn atheism into an ideology.  "Atheists should do this, atheists shouldn't do that, etc." Richard Dawkins wasn't atheist enough for them because he rated himself as a 6.9 on the Scale of Probability.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
(June 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm)Confused Ape Wrote: I thought it was one of the scariest places on the internet.  Some atheists were trying to turn atheism into an ideology.  "Atheists should do this, atheists shouldn't do that, etc." Richard Dawkins wasn't atheist enough for some of them because he rated himself as a 6.9 on the Scale of Probability.

Is that why it got shut down?
(June 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm)Confused Ape Wrote: Some atheists were trying to turn atheism into an ideology.

Which only goes to show that you can turn everything into an ideology. I despise them just as much as every religious fanatic. As soon as someone's starting the missionary work, I don't want to be associated with them.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm)Confused Ape Wrote: I thought it was one of the scariest places on the internet.  Some atheists were trying to turn atheism into an ideology.  "Atheists should do this, atheists shouldn't do that, etc." Richard Dawkins wasn't atheist enough for them because he rated himself as a 6.9 on the Scale of Probability.

(June 6, 2015 at 2:13 pm)TheMessiah Wrote: Is that why it got shut down?

I don't really know why it was shut down but it caused a big drama.  You can read all about it here -

Richard Dawkins Forums meltdown -- how it went down, in quotes

Scroll down the page a bit to the links for more information, including -

Richard Dawkins sues, alleges Josh Timonen embezzled $375,000 from Richard Dawkins Foundation For Reason And Science
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 4771 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 2829 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 2829 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 963 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 5821 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 787 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2246 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 6797 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 6982 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 4958 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII