Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hatred: Too good to give up?
Hatred: Too good to give up?
This is my first thread so be gentle with me!

This rambling post is not written by a psychologist or scientist of any kind, I’m just someone trying to express personal views and curiosity. I'm not even sure philosophy is the right place for this.

Hatred is not only an intense and almost enjoyable emotion but also quite personal. Imagining harming someone you dislike enough to hate makes you imagine doing things that would usually disgust you as a reasonable person. When the emotion subsides, this feeling of disgust that you could even think about doing such things often prevents you from sharing your feelings with anyone.
 At the time of imagining it however, the idea of justifying your violent imagination never even crosses your mind. It is this inability to justify your imaginary actions to others that prevents almost everyone from carrying out their violent and abhorrent desires. Which is very good for the crime rate and society as a whole. The news is filled with the tales of those who give in to their darker side and shock us with the visceral reality of hatred. This is also part of my problem with religions claiming morals that are centuries old are the best; by supporting prejudices that should have died during the rights revolutions I think they are giving people this very justification for their hatred through confirmation bias.

But whether it is hatred of a person or a certain type of person we will never be rid of this emotion.
 Hatred will always have its attraction once experienced personally because it is often felt to be a very ‘pure’ emotion. In the sense that Love is also a ‘pure’ emotion. Such emotions are barely affected by reason and usually result in a list of excuses to justify themselves. I’m not saying that people can avoid hatred, but they should certainly admit to themselves that what they are feeling is an intense but nonetheless disproportionate response to someone’s nationality or their beliefs or talking with their mouth full (Although if you talk with your mouth full I hope you get crushed by a massive piece of masonry).
 The attraction to hateful desires is usually their uncomplicated nature combined with the fact that they can be enjoyable. They’re enjoyable because of the sheer selfishness of the fantasy; you may disagree with your president or prime minister’s policies but that really isn’t a good enough reason to throw them off a high building. Although I admit, that’s an enjoyable one, try it (The daydream, not an actual assassination). It’s selfish because you don’t need to justify something that’s just in your head.

Hatred is extreme (although rarely amusing) fantasies and it is the emotion that stirs witch-hunts and encourages prejudice across whole nations. But it also bears thinking about that if you couldn’t feel so strongly as to be roused to hate could you miss out on the heights of love as well? Again, they aren’t so different. Totally irrational, very enjoyable.

Please post your personal opinions and if you think I've missed something point it out!

I'll be back to read posts on Tuesday
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
RE: Hatred: Too good to give up?
I passionately dislike that you will not read this until Tuesday.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm sorry , I don't understand the point of your post.  Are you trying to make us despair of humanity, or are you trying to convince us that you are a psychopath?  Or is there some other purpose for your post?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I hate that you don't seem to have an intro.

Also, what's shakin' on Monday? We might miss you.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Is the Tuesday thing meant to inspire hatred? Smile

I personally find hatred very distasteful and don't desire to feel it in any way. Jesus supposedly ministers against hate but the eternal damnation thing is the worst example of hatred. I can't imagine hating anyone enough to torture them for 5 seconds - never mind an eternity.

I imagine some people do use religion to justify hatred. If I believed in a God that tortures people and I worshipped that God, it would logically follow that I would embrace such hatred too. If it's good enough for God, it's good enough for me.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Hate, like morality, has gotten a ton of social and evolutionary support over the years. It's an excellent shiny object to distract/control people with. It's practical in terms of building up adrenaline for a fight, or motivating to engage in a fight for survival. It allows you to push past some boundaries that might keep you from surviving in the more cave/olden times. It's also, I think, a survival technique in that it's taking in a bunch of input, and assigning hate to things that you consciously/subconsciously view as threats. Sometimes rationally, sometimes not so much. But it focuses you in opposition of something harmful.

That's also why there are laws and the generic social contract. Because instinctively, we like to harm things we don't like. Whether it's physically, or with words, or just in fun imagined vignettes in the brain. As you said, we can't just go around braining each other with bricks. That wouldn't be much fun for anyone who would prefer not to be brained in the head with a brick.
I'm not able to feel hatred anymore, same as anger, and I know I used to.....not sure why though

I get your point(I think?), it was sorta addictive
I’ll look at this with a different spin. Hatred, love, anger, kindness, are all ways that human beings can bond with each other. When people are together, sharing the same emotions toward a particular subject, they will become closer. Hatred, can actually bring people together, and make people become great friends. Religious groups, anti-religious groups, terrorists, racists, people who hate a certain politician, you name it. Many people on here, want to gather together out of hatred, anger, pleasure, comradery, or laughter and enjoyment with regards to religion. Of course, most people don’t hate religious people, but they hate or are angry with religion, and they get enjoyment from talking about it, or making fun of it. I know I do. I’m not perfect. The beliefs are ridiculous, and you’d have to be indoctrinated or stupid to believe them. I make fun of religion, and so do others. I’ll make fun of the religious person too, if they are making fun of me for pointing at facts. I’ll only do that if the person is being dishonest, arrogant, or a dick first. At least, I let go of hatred a long time ago. I had hatred within me when I was in religion ironically, but not really anymore.

In my opinion, people need to be called out on certain things, because it’s detrimental to them, and others around them.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Hate is a waste of energy. I've got better things to do with my emotions aside than being self-indulgent in a destructive manner.

Meh, hate is a waste of time for me. Way easier to do something I like than force myself to focus on something I dislike.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1033 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 4366 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Best response to "You are being too bookish and nerdy!"? FlatAssembler 25 3088 April 5, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4409 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Give what you get? *Deidre* 44 8250 July 21, 2017 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Hatred Harris 132 14542 March 12, 2017 at 7:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 4941 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is it too early or late to judge the enlightenment? I and I 31 7524 December 11, 2013 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1103 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality Lemonvariable72 29 9739 September 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle