Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Monist Theism?
What is Monist Theism?
Is there a monist theism? Could there be? What are the implications of a monist theism?

I've read that there are two major positions on the brain and the mind (or soul): Dualism and Monism. Dualists believe that the mind and brain are separate; Monists believe that the brain and mind are one. Most religions are dualist. Christianity, as most other religions, dictates that when we die, our soul goes somewhere else totally independent of our body and brain, hence Christians are dualists. I'm a monist because a relationship between brain activity and 'mental activity' has been demonstrated with MRIs and other experiments and I believe these demonstrations are evidence enough that thought processes (the mind) can't exist without the brain.
RE: What is Monist Theism?
"ExperienceFestival.com Wrote:Monistic theism simultaneously accepts that God has a personal form, that He creates, pervades and is all that exists - and that He ultimately transcends all existence and that the soul is, in essence, one with God. Advaita Siddhanta (monistic Saiva Siddhanta, or Advaita Ishvaravada Saiva Siddhanta) is a specific (Hindu) form of monistic theism.

(EDIT: here is the link to the page I got that from. Clickability Enabled.
(April 14, 2010 at 12:51 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Is there a monist theism? Could there be? What are the implications of a monist theism?

I've read that there are two major positions on the brain and the mind (or soul): Dualism and Monism. Dualists believe that the mind and brain are separate; Monists believe that the brain and mind are one. Most religions are dualist. Christianity, as most other religions, dictates that when we die, our soul goes somewhere else totally independent of our body and brain, hence Christians are dualists. I'm a monist because a relationship between brain activity and 'mental activity' has been demonstrated with MRIs and other experiments and I believe these demonstrations are evidence enough that thought processes (the mind) can't exist without the brain.

There is more than one form of dualism... the dualism I assumed you meant was that there are separate 'physical' and 'spiritual' realms/planes/substances. Of which there are many dualistic religions.

There may also be monistic ones, however... and they would believe that everything exists as one type of thing (natural or spiritual or whatever, the term applied would describe naturalism (but from a theist's perspective)). So 'is there one?', I do not know. Could there be one? Yes. What are the implications of one? It would be impossible to argue against it with common arguments such as "how can the physical and the spiritual react?". Instead, it would appear to be naturalism, and thus we really couldn't argue against it except by supposing a dualism of a kind.

So far as mind/brain goes... a monistic theism might contend that they are one and the same.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monism

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Moni...m/id/60896 ... HINDUISM CONNECTION

http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Monistic+Theism

http://en.allexperts.com/e/m/mo/monism.htm ... Looks like a rehash of Wiki but holds a few more link
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I disagree that the mind can't exist without the brain... i mean, just look at some of the heavily religious. Complete absence of a brain demonstrated by some of them.
A finite number of monkeys with a finite number of typewriters and a finite amount of time could eventually reproduce 4chan.
Looks like I've fallen into an abyss of ambiguousness.
(April 15, 2010 at 4:53 am)Loki_999 Wrote: I disagree that the mind can't exist without the brain... i mean, just look at some of the heavily religious. Complete absence of a brain demonstrated by some of them.

Autonomic functions still work so maybe it is the mind part they are missing because they gave it to god?
The short answer to the question 'Is there Monist Theism?' is 'yes'. But thats not very useful, so here's the long answer.

The term 'Monism' refers to the position that there is only one sort of 'stuff' in the Universe. The vast majority of Monists (including myself) are materialist Monists. Materialist Monism is sometimes called 'Physicalism'. We physicalists hold that at a fundamental level the Universe is composed exclusively of material/ physical phenomena. All non-physical phenomena (such as mental states, social institutions and works of literature) ultimately reduce to physical 'stuff'. Materialist Monism is obviously not compatible with Theism.

A second type of Monism is Idealism. This is the view that the physical Universe that we experience is in fact created by Mind, and that bedrock reality is not physical at all. Idealist Monism pretty much requires Theism, since the alternative to saying that the Universe is created by/ exists in the Mind of God is to say that our minds create their own realities- a sort of extreme relativism that collapses rather quickly into solipsism.

Dualism, of course, is the view that there are 2 fundamental sorts of 'stuff' in the Universe- physical stuff and mental stuff. Either Atheism or Theism are possible with Dualism, although I suspect that most Dualists are also Theists.

Note that these are positions within Metaphysics, and are therefore concerned with the fundamental nature of reality rather than anything practical. So when I say that mind and social institutions ultimately reduce to physical phenomena, that doesn't mean that I think that some sort of physical description of mind or society is actually a practical possibility (IMO, it isn't).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3127 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11346 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10577 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Is Dialogues Part XII Hume's "death bed conversion moment" to theism? Mudhammam 7 1929 June 25, 2014 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Monist vs. Dualist Experiment? Neo-Scholastic 148 36337 December 15, 2013 at 7:43 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  On Theism & Immaterial Minds FallentoReason 48 11607 June 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Deism challenged (& Theism as collateral damage) FallentoReason 2 2530 April 14, 2013 at 10:46 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Discussion of the Deism vs. Theism debate. leo-rcc 31 14514 May 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: fr0d0