Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal?
Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal?
This is particularly an issue in the case of Marijuana. should people convicted of such things have their records sponged when their state decides Maryjane is no longer a crime? Especially if the government finds a way to collect taxes off the sale of  an erstwhile controlled substance. or illegal activities.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal?
I guess that depends on whether you think breaking the law when it is still the law should be in itself be punishable, or if it is only the fact that you've done a bad thing that is punishable.
Yes, if only because the US needs to free all the people arrested for minor drug offences yesterday.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If it's an unjust law, like pot being illegal, then yes they should be free. Pot is no more a gateway drug than coffee is, and it has medical uses.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If it's an unjust law, abso-fucking-lutely.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
That would mean the law was unjust and they were wrongly jailed, so yes
(June 11, 2015 at 5:36 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: This is particularly an issue in the case of Marijuana. should people convicted of such things have their records sponged when their state decides Maryjane is no longer a crime? Especially if the government finds a way to collect taxes off the sale of  an erstwhile controlled substance. or illegal activities.

Generally speaking, I think people should not be forgiven for activities that were illegal at the time they were committed even if they become legal later.  This is because it is important that people obey the law.

But I can think of a number of exceptions mostly having to do with laws that were abolished because they violated human rights, the Constitution, or both.  So for example, a couple jailed for entering into an interracial sexual relationship at a time when that was illegal should not only be freed but also to have the record expunged.  Similarly, anyone convicted of a pre Roe v. Wade abortion in the first trimester should also be freed and the record should be expunged.

I don't think that prohibiting the use of marijuana is a human rights violation.  And I don't think that states that have made it legal have done so for that reason. So I don't think those convicted of sale or possession should automatically be released from prison.  However, considering large number of people who are incarcerated for this reason who are not otherwise criminals, and the disproportionately large sentences given for possession, I would applaud a law releasing people whose only crime was possession of marijuana and/or selling small amounts of it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 11, 2015 at 6:16 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:36 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: This is particularly an issue in the case of Marijuana. should people convicted of such things have their records sponged when their state decides Maryjane is no longer a crime? Especially if the government finds a way to collect taxes off the sale of  an erstwhile controlled substance. or illegal activities.

Generally speaking, I think people should not be forgiven for activities that were illegal at the time they were committed even if they become legal later.  This is because it is important that people obey the law.

But I can think of a number of exceptions mostly having to do with laws that were abolished because they violated human rights, the Constitution, or both.  So for example, a couple jailed for entering into an interracial sexual relationship at a time when that was illegal should not only be freed but also to have the record expunged.  Similarly, anyone convicted of a pre Roe v. Wade abortion in the first trimester should also be freed and the record should be expunged.

I don't think that prohibiting the use of marijuana is a human rights violation.  And I don't think that states that have made it legal have done so for that reason. So I don't think those convicted of sale or possession should automatically be released from prison.  However, considering large number of people who are incarcerated for this reason who are not otherwise criminals, and the disproportionately large sentences given for possession, I would applaud a law releasing people whose only crime was possession of marijuana and/or selling small amounts of it.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except for the part I bolded. How is limiting what people can do with their own bodies anything but a human rights violation?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
As a law student I'm gonna disagree with Jenny (knowing she's an expert in the field Tongue) - When we make something legal (and assuming it was illegal before) it means that we decided something that was once immoral, wrong or harmful is now acceptable or at least ignorable/tolerable - For this reason, keeping people in jail for something that is legal is completely contradictory with the principle of justice and in particular what in Europe we call the legalistic principle - No one shall be imprisoned by a crime that is not expressly predicted on the law and by the law. I don't think it's a reason for people to not obey the law because there are some things we know will never be legalised. This is, of course, assuming our laws progress (not regress), meaning that each new law is better than the older one.

A curious fact - In Portugal (inspired in the Germanic civil law system so the Germans must be alike) if you commit a crime punishable by (random example) 1-5 years in prison and before you go to trial (but after being arrested) a law comes out saying the penalty changes (for example to 1-3 years) you will be sentenced with the new law and not the old one if the result is more favourable - BUT, if the penalty is harsher, you will still get the old law. The reasoning behind is that any criminal could argue in court that he/she would not have committed the crime if he/she knew the penalty would be higher.

For drug trafficking, I would not forgive because it would still be completely illegal under new laws - You could buy marijuana (assuming we legalise it) in shops, but individual people without authorizations cannot sell it on the street - Not to mention that trafficking usually involves other small/medium scale crimes
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 11, 2015 at 6:28 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 6:16 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Generally speaking, I think people should not be forgiven for activities that were illegal at the time they were committed even if they become legal later.  This is because it is important that people obey the law.

I don't think that prohibiting the use of marijuana is a human rights violation.  And I don't think that states that have made it legal have done so for that reason. So I don't think those convicted of sale or possession should automatically be released from prison.  However, considering large number of people who are incarcerated for this reason who are not otherwise criminals, and the disproportionately large sentences given for possession, I would applaud a law releasing people whose only crime was possession of marijuana and/or selling small amounts of it.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except for the part I bolded. How is limiting what people can do with their own bodies anything but a human rights violation?
To be fair, this is only true if (1) You accept human rights exist and find a way to prove there is an objective sect of values (2) If you follow a liberal/libertarian principle of self-determination because there are people like me who see some behaviours as so self-destructive that society should put an end to it - I don't think this is the case for weed though
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should public transportation be free? Fake Messiah 41 2638 July 26, 2022 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6834 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are religions that preach inequality for women and gays, traitors to their country? Greatest I am 129 4801 February 8, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 9151 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Incest should be legal because homosexuality is Rein83 52 5588 August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 984 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Palestinian rock throwing, but isnt that against their religion? Kimbi 1 503 September 4, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1595 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fools And Their Money! Minimalist 10 1024 May 18, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Finally Fox [Faux] News is being called out for their shit NuclearEnergy 3 1441 December 16, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician