Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Horner's Dino Chicken?
Jack Horner's Dino Chicken?
Scaring the shit out of creatards all over the south!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...ience.html

Quote:“Birds are dinosaurs,” Horner told The Daily Beast on a recent afternoon in L.A.’s Natural History Museum. “Adding a tail or changing wings to hands and arms, giving it teeth, giving it a snout like a Tyrannosaur… makes it more dinosaur-looking, but it’s still the dinosaur bird that it was when it started.”

Domesticated chickens won the experimental science lottery, and so Horner’s current passion project aims to switch specific genes within a chicken “on” and “off” to trigger the ancestral form within.
RE: Jack Horner's Dino Chicken?
How's the general scientifc consensus right now about that claim? I'm following the debate for about a decade now, but with more interest than understanding, since I'm a idiot when it comes to biology.

I find it fascinating that they may have turned into birds and never actually died out.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I read his book years ago, but I too would like to learn from a competent neutral source how well that would work...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Sod learning how it works.  I'm waiting for the 800lb drumstick.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I actually saw a special where they showed the embryo with teeth.  It was really cool.

Fuck Ken Ham and Ray Comfort and their bananas.
The skeletal structure of birds and certain raptors is such a good match that it if was luck I'd give the guy my rent money to play the lottery.
(June 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm)abaris Wrote: How's the general scientifc consensus right now about that claim? I'm following the debate for about a decade now, but with more interest than understanding, since I'm a idiot when it comes to biology.

I find it fascinating that they may have turned into birds and never actually died out.

The birds descended from dinosaur theory has been around for 140 years, and gained increasing ground amongst paleontologist starting with Ostrom from 1970s.  It's has been the dominate and the de facto orthodox theory of bird origin at least since the early 1990s.

The main thing is not the we now think birds evolved differently from how we did 20 years ago.   The main thing is we now use a different system of classification than we might have 20-30 years ago.  20 or 30 years ago we have already recognized that birds descended from dinosaurs.   But the theory of how to label different animals prevalent at the time relied on grouping animals by somewhat artificial selection of shared derived traits.   So birds obviously had substantially different sets of derived trait from most dinosaurs, so probable lineage not withstanding, birds were considered a different type of animal from dinosaurs.   Pervailing classification theory now rely on shared primitive traits.  So the descendant of any creature is always considered to belong to the same clad as the creature itself.   In this classification system, if birds descended from dinosaurs, then birds are dinosaurs by default.
(June 15, 2015 at 7:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I actually saw a special where they showed the embryo with teeth.  It was really cool.

Fuck Ken Ham and Ray Comfort and their bananas.

Unfortunately ontogeny is not a reliable or precise recapitulation of phylogeny, especially if the embryo is tempered with.
The phenomenon has been observed independently.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chicken Hawk having lunch IATIA 5 1233 December 1, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Biggest Dino yet discovered max-greece 15 2572 May 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: max-greece