Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logical absolutes/God
Logical absolutes/God
How does Christian God violate the logical absolutes? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it being all-powerful, all-knowing and omniscient. FSM Grin
RE: Logical absolutes/God
Omni-anything makes no sense. Who is qualified to make such an attribution? Human beings are in no position to recognize omni-shit when they see it.
Many Christian theologies don't include violating the logical absolutes in their definition of 'omnipotent' as that's rather inconceivable. Many view god as maximally powerful, meaning he can do anything within the logical absolutes, and a god who is maximally powerful is still plenty able to do everything that's said of him in the bible/koran/etc.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Yahweh is described as the most-est at a number of things, which can be interpreted as being as good as he needs to be or the most ever possible. Does he need to be "omnipotent" or does he simply need to be stronger than any force that might challenge him? Does he need to be "omniscient" or just smarter than anyone else can ever be? Does he need to be "omnipresent" or just have the ability to peer into our hearts and know our actions and thoughts?

If people are using "omni" attributes in order to solve logical problems, I think it winds up causing more problems than it solves. Everything from the silly (can he create a rock he can't lift?) to the sublime (Epicurus's questions regarding such attributes). And as ever, if the Bible was clear and unambiguous about the matter, it might be easier to figure out who or what god is (or was supposed to be).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 16, 2015 at 10:06 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Many Christian theologies don't include violating the logical absolutes in their definition of 'omnipotent' as that's rather inconceivable.  Many view god as maximally powerful, meaning he can do anything within the logical absolutes, and a god who is maximally powerful is still plenty able to do everything that's said of him in the bible/koran/etc.

How do I counter the "God is maximally powerful" argument?
How about, "How can you possibly know that? Even if he showed up in front of you, how could he demonstrate he is maximally powerful? No matter what he does there's always something that would require even more power."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 16, 2015 at 10:20 am)Britney blue Wrote:
(June 16, 2015 at 10:06 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Many Christian theologies don't include violating the logical absolutes in their definition of 'omnipotent' as that's rather inconceivable.  Many view god as maximally powerful, meaning he can do anything within the logical absolutes, and a god who is maximally powerful is still plenty able to do everything that's said of him in the bible/koran/etc.

I already had to deal that that last night.  A christian says god hates gay and nature, also he told me god is perfect. So i was like wait no god isn't perfect
and he isn't all that smart, reason being why would such a supposed all knowing being create something he hate that occurs in nature. Also the fact being gay 
is pretty much natural even still if a so called god being hated it wouldn't he have done something about it, and that was without dragging free will into it. The point 
being if god hates something enough he has the power to change it but does nothing about it, so that doesn't make god all good or all smart.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 16, 2015 at 10:20 am)Britney blue Wrote:

Well..you can't really 'counter' an utterly unfalsifiable claim, all you can do is ask for evidence and address the evidence they bring up.
- Thomas Jefferson
(June 16, 2015 at 10:23 am)robvalue Wrote: How about, "How can you possibly know that? Even if he showed up in front of you, how could he demonstrate he is maximally powerful? No matter what he does there's always something that would require even more power."

So you're saying if God is maximally powerful he could not violate the laws of logic and demonstrating maximal power of God is just demonstrating logic...
Well..a maximally powerful god can by definition do literally anything conceivable, including raising people from the dead, manifesting himself as a human/son, all the miracles, etc etc. When people say 'omnipotence' they nearly always mean maximally powerful, because he's omnipotent in the realm of 'anything conceivable'.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5511 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Logical Conclusions: A Dialogue About God Rhondazvous 2 859 June 21, 2015 at 7:08 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The most logical thought ever dyresand 27 6365 May 16, 2015 at 9:50 am
Last Post: dyresand
  a logical question for theists dyresand 21 4109 November 5, 2014 at 4:53 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12321 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
Question Logical fallacies in the Bible? Tea Earl Grey Hot 70 41996 July 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Cato
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6681 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Logical contradictions? Captain Scarlet 74 25911 November 19, 2010 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Justtristo