Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sexism because Adam Sandler didn't wear a dress
Sexism because Adam Sandler didn't wear a dress
Okay, the title is a bit of a piss take and it'll hopefully make sense after reading the article I'm going to refer to:

https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blogs/fas...29131.html

Quote:There’s a double standard in Hollywood fashion, and this photo — men, looking as if they’ve rolled out of bed or come from the gym, with their female co-star putting effort (and hours of it) into her appearance — encapsulates it. Sure, Sandler’s got a reputation for being a slob, often throwing a middle finger up in the face of assumed dressing standards and having an apathetic attitude towards the bright lights big city culture, but that doesn’t discount him from the sexist issue at the heart of it all.

This shit bewilders me. How the fuck is this 'writer' (I use that term loosely) making a sexist issue out of something so ridiculous?

I'm just gonna quote top commenter "Peter", because he pretty much nails it:

Quote:You know who wants women to turn up to these events wearing fancy dresses? Other women. I honestly don't think men care at all. I don't know what dress someone wore to a premier and i don't really care. Go out in any major city tonight and you will see women with lots of makeup and fancy dresses whilst men are largely in jeans and a t-shirt, this is a reflection on life, not hollywood. Even going to the shops some women wont go out without wearing makeup yet i dont know a man who has wore any (other than fancy dress) a single day in their lives. Can we not just accept that there are differences between the sexes and grow up.? And suggesting she is uneasy next to two 40 year old men as if they are going to mount a attack is pretty low. Nobody ever comments if its a 20 year old bloke with two 40 year old women, infact they make TV shows called Couger Town which is seen as entertainment. Whilst women can say 'oh if i was 20 years younger' it will be laughed at. If a man says it you are seen as a creep and sleazy. There are double standards in society and sometimes its easier to blame men. Who do you think is obsessed with size zero? When men are voting Kelly Brook as the sexiest women on the planet....Its pressure on girls by girls.

Whoever wrote this bullshit article needs shooting.

But anyway, just thought I'd share this with y'all. Probably the highlight of my day. Made me rather annoyed at least.
RE: Sexism because Adam Sandler didn't wear a dress
Gomez probably wore the dress because she wanted to wear it so I don't think that, by itself, is sexism. According to the article, actresses can get a lot of money for wearing certain fashions or jewelry. It would be interesting to know if actors get the same perks.

There is a tendency for the media that covers actors and actresses to be more critical of how women dress than men. If Gomez had worn an outfit similar to Sandlers, tabloid magazines would have been more negative in their reaction to her. I am not certain if that is sexism or just one of those cultural stupidities that we don't question even though we should.

Gomez, by the way, did not look uncomfortable in that photo. I couldn't tell anything about her feelings just from that one picture
Sweatpants and Shorts is almost a synonym for Adam Sandler and Kevin James, isn't it?  It's how they butter their bread -and- the side it's buttered on. I'm sure that a case can be made for the problems inherent to sexist attitudes and approaches that doesn't have to stand up on it's tippy toes and reach as hard as all this? Have we talked all of that to death....is this the state of sexism today.....that it;s something to do with shorts and silk dresses? If either of those two guys had a pair of silk shorts on...would that mean it wasn;t something to do with sexism? Anybody check to see whether or not the guys wore briefs or boxers that night? Might be informative.

IDK...far be it from me to conclude entirely that sexism isn't somehow a factor here./...but it seems to me like marketing, image management, and earning potential is a much more compelling explanation for why any of these people, professional entertainers, wear what they do. There's money in shorts and sweatpants for females too. I've got my wallet out.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[Image: fp_5910703_sandler_adam_fp3_101810.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 17, 2015 at 9:31 am)Nope Wrote: Gomez probably wore the dress because she wanted to wear it so I don't think that, by itself, is sexism. According to the article, actresses can get a lot of money for wearing certain fashions or jewelry. It would be interesting to know if actors get the same perks.

It's my understanding that actors and actresses can be paid/compensated to wear a particular designer's clothing, accessories, makeup, etc. - both men and women.  With awards shows and things the outfits are usually on loan or borrowed or something from the designer, they are not purchased by the celebrity, and in the case of custom dresses it's as much a boon for the designer, who can turn around and sell the dress to consumers, as it is to the celebrity, who is getting a couture piece designed especially for them.

In other words, it's all about money, promotion of the self (in the case of celebrities) and brands (in the case of designers), and endorsement deals.

For example, I've generally wondered this, Ellen Degeneres is a Covergirl, but is that endorsement deal only for the commercials she does or did Covergirl write into her contract that Ellen must use Covergirl products as her makeup for her talk show?  Charlize Theron does J'adore perfume commercials, but does her contract extend to her having to wear J'adore on runways or to red carpet events?

It'd be interesting to see just how these sorts of endorsement deals are written.  Maybe Adam Sandler and Kevin James are just not interested in free cloths or hoking product for designers?

Or maybe they're just slobs who can't be bothered to wear presentable cloths (clean jeans and a t-shirt w/o holes or Doritos stains)
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Or, maybe they stand to make more money by retaining the shorts and sweatpants image, as Gomez does by being "the girl in the red dress".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You know, I'd never wish violence on anyone, but with Adam Sandler and Kevin James standing next to each other, one well-placed grenade could save the world from a lot of painful cinematic experiences. In fact, ethically speaking, I think we have to kill James in order to ensure there is no Paul Blart 3.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Can't blame Kevin James for making a movie that people go to see. The market supports that pile of dreck. And that's our fault.

This is just clickbait, pure and simple. The internet is trending towards "You won't believe what this kitten did!" or "7 reasons why the internet just can't today" or "See if we can guess your age by which pokemon you like!" clickbait bullshit. Buzzfeed and sites like it are making money hand over fist for polarizing (verb) topics and inciting emotional responses that prompt people to share on their FB timelines. That guy is no more a journalist than I am by writing this paragraph.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 17, 2015 at 9:31 am)Nope Wrote: Gomez probably wore the dress because she wanted to wear it so I don't think that, by itself, is sexism. According to the article, actresses can get a lot of money for wearing certain fashions or jewelry. It would be interesting to know if actors get the same perks.

The article answered that:

Quote:So there’s an obvious perk to the excessive amount of time spent in a makeup chair and in dressing rooms with a personal stylist. But men’s fashion has never been as popular. The annual sales aren’t as large and and endorsements are hard to come by. (Unlike Kylie Jenner, for example, who can promote something as inane as colored hair extensions for the cool price of a Malibu mansion.) Kit Harrington for Jimmy Choo, Eddie Redmayne for Burberry, and David Beckham for H&M are a few examples (oddly, all Brits); but it’s not as if oxfords and tuxedos have the same market impact as a couture gown or a diamond necklace.

https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blogs/fas...29131.html

(June 17, 2015 at 9:31 am)Nope Wrote: There is a tendency for the media that covers actors and actresses to be more critical of how women dress than men. If Gomez had worn an outfit similar to Sandlers, tabloid magazines would have been more negative in their reaction to her. I am not certain if that is sexism or just one of those cultural stupidities that we don't question even though we should.

I think you are absolutely right, that magazines would be more critical of a woman dressing as a slob than a man doing it.  And since that is an arbitrary distinction made on the basis of sex, it is the very definition of sexism.

Also from the article:

Quote:At the recent Cannes Film Festival, women were turned away from a premiere for not complying with the strict dress code that called for women to wear high heels. “Everyone should wear flats, to be honest. We shouldn’t wear high heels,” Emily Blunt said. “That’s very disappointing, just when you kind of think there are these new waves of equality.” To her point, women should be free to wear whatever they want, when they want, without external pressures that force them to conform to a specific archetype.

Now, I understand events have dress codes, but high heals are not necessary for looking good, and also they are actually unhealthy.  That is another difference with men's fashion, as men's clothing typically does not cause health problems.  (However much a man might not like wearing a suit and tie, if they fit properly and are worn properly, they do not generally harm him.)

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(June 17, 2015 at 11:38 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Can't blame Kevin James for making a movie that people go to see. The market supports that pile of dreck. And that's our fault.

I didn't realize artistic integrity was dead. Killed by the almighty dollar, no less.

No, you can blame him for putting out shit. Just because the masses are too ignorant to stay away, that doesn't mean he is absolved for any responsibility for the garbage he pumps out. Any attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator can be called out, no matter how profitable.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3647 193523 April 14, 2024 at 9:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2053 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2714 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 840 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Because I love cheese Losty 116 8470 November 27, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Do you and yours wear thermal under clothes when the weather gets cold? Duty 46 3109 November 15, 2018 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Duty
  Just because She's Topless chimp3 162 17063 January 8, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  I'll Give You a Pass Because... Neo-Scholastic 13 2218 November 16, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  What would you do if you found out I didn't exist? Edwardo Piet 4 803 October 7, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8731 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet