Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'it will come back to you'
'it will come back to you'
The idea of karma isn't exclusive to Buddhism apparently

I was watching a movie with this chick
There were a couple of scenes showing violence and gore. She insisted on skipping them and the way she looked at me made me ask why....she looked like she really really didn't want to watch them no matter what

So she responds with 'I don't like them....and I don't want it to come back to me in any way'

I realized she sounded just like my mother....with this paranoid fear that thinking about something causes it to happen

There's some leftover magical thinking in my head and I noticed that I actually believe it to be true....that makes me fucking furious.

It ultimately boils down to wish thinking, the idea that thoughts have an effect on reality. I KNOW it's fucking ridiculous, but I can't BELIEVE it is. Yet another thing I was coerced into believing, and now I'm having a hard time getting it out of my brain.

This will sound weird, but can somebody please tear that shit apart for me? I'll pay you in cookies hugs and monopoly money
RE: 'it will come back to you'
Your thoughts are a part of reality and indeed do have a profound effect on reality outside your head: through your actions. When you think about raising your arm and then do it, your thought will have caused an electrical impulse coming out of your brain. Pretty cool. So can you spell out what exactly it is you want reassurance about that it does not exist:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Of course it is...now for the important question, did you end up smashing her back doors in, lad?
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(June 17, 2015 at 4:35 pm)Alex K Wrote: Your thoughts are a part of reality and indeed do have a profound effect on reality outside your head: through your actions. When you think about raising your arm and then do it, your thought will have caused an electrical impulse coming out of your brain. Pretty cool. So can you spell out what exactly it is you want reassurance about that it does not exist:

snarky physisisicists, grumble grumble Tongue

the general idea is that whatever 'energy' you 'send out' to 'the universe' (the new agey wooist denotation of the words in quotes in mind) comes back to you
so if let's say I've been sitting around for x hours thinking about murderers, the probability of being murdered becomes higher somehow

IOW, what you focus your thoughts on comes to you in reality...if that makes any sense ._.
I'm not being snarky.
But that is so wildly implausible that I have trouble writing a refutation for it without sounding too silly.
Your thoughts are funny signals in a small squishy electrical circuit between your ears. The world has existed for 13.7 billion years before human brains even evolved, it doesn't care in what order your neurons fire or what your serotonin level is.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

ok, that sounds reassuring
I'll go read about brains and neurology to see if it helps

your payment in monopoly will arrive shortly
My mother used to warn me that my love for all things horror would someone invite Satan into my life.

Some people want to find ways to have pretend control over the random things that happen in life. I don't know how to reason someone out of that type of thinking because it apparently makes them feel less vulnerable(or that is my guess) It is silly and probably causes more stress than it prevents.

You could ask the young lady how this works. How would seeing something violent cause anything bad to happen. Of course, she will probably do what most people do when asked to clarify illogical positions and just get angry or talk in circles.
Bos, any weird wooey feelings must be run through the logic filter first.
We have 2 sides to our consciousness. The ape side (yum, bananas) and the spaceman side.

The ape side guides all religios (fucking irony  or what?)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yeah, if you're short on literature, watch some VS Ramachandran vids !

Your problem is simple: you are watching movies with the wrong woman.

That said, I am not a fan of violence and gore in movies.  But I do not believe it will cause anything other than me having an unpleasant time watching a film with gratuitous violence.  And my solution is different:  I generally just avoid watching films with too much gore in them.  However, if it is important to the point of the film (if it has a point), then it is right and proper that it is there.  Like in A Clockwork Orange, the violence is necessary to what the film is about, and isn't simply a gore-fest.  And, of course, by today's standards, it may seem rather tame.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1281 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2646 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2396 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 734146 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 34806 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Christians Come to the Waters... daver49 2 1252 March 20, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 22550 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  That Day will come as a trap on all the world professor 1458 175978 October 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  And Hells come back to haunt me themonkeyman 515 218563 April 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: snowtracks
  Did jeebus tell the bible belt to come up with giving daughters balls?? Brakeman 23 6687 March 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Tonus