Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robot Dogs Are Not Immortal
Robot Dogs Are Not Immortal
Quote:Back in 1999, Sony released a robotic dog called Aibo, a canine companion that didn’t crap everywhere and only ate electricity. It sold pretty well — 150,000 units, despite the $2,000 price tag. Some owners became remarkably attached, which makes it even more sad that Sony has stopped repairing Aibo. Slowly but surely, they’re all dying. 

The New York Times has recorded the plight of current-day Aibo owners in a completely heartbreaking video. They interviewed a series of owners, whose Aibos are a central part of their lives, but are slowly having to come to the fact that their dogs have a life expectancy.

http://gizmodo.com/sonys-robotic-dogs-ar...1712160637

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Robot Dogs Are Not Immortal
There's a small business opportunity if I ever saw one......................you got the consumer by the short and curlies right out of the gate...and you -know- they're willing to spend big!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Japanese people are strange...
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
-and potentially profitable! Servos are cheap...love is priceless.......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 18, 2015 at 2:51 pm)Rhythm Wrote: There's a small business opportunity if I ever saw one......................you got the consumer by the short and curlies right out of the gate...and you -know- they're willing to spend big!

I was thinking more along the lines of Sony getting into the robot funeral business. Now that would some savvy business sense.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
And bury the keys to the consumers wallet?  No thank you sir.   Wink
But the question is, do all Robot dogs go to heaven?

(aside: All Dogs Go To Heaven freaked me the eff out when I was a kid. It didn't make any sense to me and was just horrifying and sad and I was like... "WTF" after I watched it when I was maybe 5 or 6 or something.)
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Quote:do all Robot dogs go to heaven?
-for a price...yes?

*make all checks payable to Honeystone Farms, LLC.
Adds a whole new level to "pulling the plug", doesn't it?
Dying to live, living to die.
12/11 best thread title ever

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New file, dogs/cats, how to frustrate your human brewer 13 766 July 1, 2022 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dogs Brian37 48 2311 April 10, 2020 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Dogs or cats? Losty 67 4353 October 25, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Do all Atheists love dogs as much as my hubs? The Atheists Wife 62 6290 November 17, 2017 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you could be immortal... (poll) Catholic_Lady 46 4181 July 10, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Our Robot Servants Already Attacking... Pyrrho 28 3200 February 12, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Dogs react to magician's trick Kayenneh 2 705 March 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Dogs and Cats hugging CapnAwesome 8 4954 January 23, 2013 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding