Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Habermas Q and A
Gary Habermas Q and A
So, my father invited me to his church on Sunday, where Gary Habermas, who is from my area and friends with the pastor of the church, is doing a Q and A at the 11 am service. I have met and talked with Habermas once when he came to town in the past. I was about 14, and went out to lunch with him; I remember him telling me about Antony Flew's consideration of becoming a believer a few years before he publicly came out as a deist. Afterwards he gave me his email if I ever wanted to correspond further, which I don't think I ever did. Anyway, I'm not sure if I want to go, as I'm familiar with his shtick, and I really hate going to church. I'm pretty sure I won't go, actually, though I know it would please my parents and it could even be moderately interesting... though awkward, for sure. What should I do?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Gary Habermas Q and A
Go in disguise.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Take one for the team and report on the forum what his current best arguments are?

Are your parents still going to be pleased if you parttake in the Q part though? Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I, still, go to church on occasion, mostly attempting to please my parents, although like yourself, I hate it. It sounds like a nice thing to do for your parents though, and it may be interesting to talk to him again. I’m sure you have gained so much knowledge from the time you were 14, and it may be entertaining just to do it once more, and test your debating skills (if that’s what ends up happening). I’m sure neither of your minds will be changed of course, but you know his shtick, so it may be fun for you to have a conversation with him again. I don’t know all the details of the situation, but I’d recommend that you go for it Smile

EDIT: Regarding to what Alex K said..Yeah, if they are upset because you are drawing attention to them in a negative way, because the conversation will not be private, then you may want to reconsider. If you think you'll end arguing with him, then I don't know if I'd go, maybe do something else with you parents. Sorry for the contradiction haha. Not sure on all the minor details.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
Dammit guys you aren't making it any easier! I really don't want to go... yet I do feel somewhat compelled to... I'm on the fence about it. Maybe I'll go just for the reason Alex K said, and my parents, though I think they've had enough to say to me about religion for 10 lifetimes let alone one.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Gary Habermas Q and A
I'd say to go, but to go if you want to go. If you think you can learn something from the experience then it won't hurt to hear him out again. I'd say too that thinkers' approaches can change over time, so he might at least articulate a take on things that he didn't have before.
Load up on food that gives you gas beforehand and have a blast!
Don't go. I wouldn't.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Is there a question that you could imagine him having an adequate answer to? I don't imagine you'll be learning anything.

The only possible outcome to going prepared with questions is having his flock convinced by his bs answers. I'd be extremely shocked with "I don't know".
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Here's a little primer on Habermas.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamin...-habermas/

You could go and see if he is still repeating the same old shit.  My guess is that he is because the same old shit is all he has.