Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Forums
Christian Forums
I've read in a couple of threads recently that there are Christian forums in which atheist points of view including attempts to show why atheism is a more logical and likely truthful position than Christianity are allowed.  And I do mean the right to open threads that mirror the kind of extended attempts to prove god or a particular religion correct that are allowed here.  I'd like some links if anyone has them.  

I won't be surprised if there aren't such forums.  Religious forums appear to exist to support not question faith so it's not surprising extended questioning is frowned upon.  

Googling has so far lead me only to forums with rules like this:

Quote:CCF does not exist to support or to enable general attacks on the Faith, or non-Catholic proselytizing. Extended non-Catholic lectures, and lists of disputed doctrines too lengthy to reasonably address at one time, are disallowed. Links to non-Catholic sites that include such lectures or lists are similarly disallowed. Moderator discretion will determine whether a given post or site is appropriate.
http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/faq....q_aup_faq_

Quote:Questioning Church teachings or disciplines is certainly not a problem, providing it is within a context of attempting to understand our faith.
http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/show...-Teachings

Christian?  Any suggestions?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Christian Forums
That is all I've found, ones which won't let you broach the subject. Except for WLC's site. But the rudeness of the reaction as well as the absurdity of what they say just wears you down. Makes me more sensitive to how our own theists are doing, especially the more reasonable among them.
(June 21, 2015 at 11:47 am)whateverist Wrote: That is all I've found, ones which won't let you broach the subject.  Except for WLC's site.  But the rudeness of the reaction as well as the absurdity of what they say just wears you down.  Makes me more sensitive to how our own theists are doing, especially the more reasonable among them.

That's kinda what I expected.  I already wince a little sometime at how we treat some Christians here.  But at the same time the ones who do get shoved hard here also tend to be the most relentlessly deaf to what people here actually think as opposed to what they thought we thought before they arrived.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am)Jenny A Wrote:
(June 21, 2015 at 11:47 am)whateverist Wrote: That is all I've found, ones which won't let you broach the subject.  Except for WLC's site.  But the rudeness of the reaction as well as the absurdity of what they say just wears you down.  Makes me more sensitive to how our own theists are doing, especially the more reasonable among them.

That's kinda what I expected.  I already wince a little sometime at how we treat some Christians here.  But at the same time the ones who do get shoved hard here also tend to be the most relentlessly deaf to what people here actually think as opposed to what they thought we thought before they arrived.

Sometimes it is even what they think we ought to think.  Nothing like coaching the person you disagree with to formulate the worse positions possible in order to help you win your point.
Suscipe Domine allows atheists to talk, but usually only so the peanut gallery can stop ripping each other apart and start screaming obscenities at the "gates of hell" for a moment. If it looks like you're winning the debate they'll ban you for a few days though until they manage to concoct a defense or shut the thread.

They're a funny crowd, they actually seem to hate non-SSPX/Sedevacantist Catholics more than they do Athiests. Other than that those that claim to allow debate usually really means they have a "call the sinner a hell-bound whore" subforum.
(June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am)Jenny A Wrote:

I think people here are too ready to imagine some Christian who, at first, appears half-way reasonable is actually half-way reasonable, when they should be figuring that someone who believes in fairytale nonsense cannot be very reasonable.  And as you say, the ones who get shoved hard here ask for it.  But, of course, what sort of Christian is likely to join an atheist site?  So obnoxious jerks who do not pay attention to what people actually state and argue dishonestly is what we should expect for the future as well as the present.  If they were good at following arguments and being reasonable, they would not be Christians at all.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Agreed.  I've often said that a person has to be amazingly stupid to be a mormon or a JW but really those are only a half-step away from the rest of the shitheads.
How insecure in your belief do you have to be to disallow any differing opinions?

The forums you mentioned in the OP sound like fucking totalitarian states
(June 21, 2015 at 11:43 am)Jenny A Wrote: I've read in a couple of threads recently that there are Christian forums in which atheist points of view including attempts to show why atheism is a more logical and likely truthful position than Christianity are allowed.  And I do mean the right to open threads that mirror the kind of extended attempts to prove god or a particular religion correct that are allowed here.  I'd like some links if anyone has them.  

I won't be surprised if there aren't such forums.  Religious forums appear to exist to support not question faith so it's not surprising extended questioning is frowned upon.  

Googling has so far lead me only to forums with rules like this:

Quote:CCF does not exist to support or to enable general attacks on the Faith, or non-Catholic proselytizing. Extended non-Catholic lectures, and lists of disputed doctrines too lengthy to reasonably address at one time, are disallowed. Links to non-Catholic sites that include such lectures or lists are similarly disallowed. Moderator discretion will determine whether a given post or site is appropriate.
http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/faq....q_aup_faq_

Quote:Questioning Church teachings or disciplines is certainly not a problem, providing it is within a context of attempting to understand our faith.
http://www.catholicforum.com/forums/show...-Teachings

Christian?  Any suggestions?

Jenny-

About two months ago, I called the president of Catholic Answers, Christopher Check, to discuss what was a long-standing ban on Atheist threads. I was connected to his personal assistant's voicemail instead.

HOWEVER, about a week later, she called me back and told me that the ban on atheist threads had been discussed and lifted. I announced that here in a thread that has been locked (and my OP deleted). (I understand why that happened, and I'm okay with it. I'm simply recounting what happened.)

So, you should have no problem at CAF in the Philosophy, Apologetics and Non-Catholic Religions subforums.

One more point, due to problems with spammers from India or somplace like that, new member registrations are only accepted M-F during normal business hours Pacific Time.

See ya there!
What is an atheist thread? Is it a thread started by atheists or just a thread about atheists?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88909 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 22717 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7412 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Christian Forums ThePinsir 22 5013 February 6, 2014 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  My debate in Christian Forums in full swing greneknight 99 39029 September 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: System of Solace
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6333 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Have all of the Atheists and some others on like forums comited the unforgivable sin? Pel 41 13885 February 10, 2012 at 2:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger