Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does human life have INHERENT value?
Lightbulb 
Does human life have INHERENT value?
Do you, as atheists, believe that human life has inherent value? (this means human life has value, in and of itself, unconditionally)

Definition of inherent (as per webster):

a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute

If so, why do you believe this and how did you come to that conclusion?

(PS - No agenda here, just honestly curious about what you think and why you think it. If you do not want to hear my opinions, don't ask. I promise not to talk about them otherwise.)
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Does human life have value?
Value is a malleable, relative concept.  Everything has value.

As far has human life goes, it all has value to varying degrees.  For instance, my life is more valuable than that of someone who rapes and murders a child, but my life has less value than that of someone who builds children's hospitals.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Everything has some value. As a Human, I normally ascribe Humans more value than other things. I don't think everyone has equal value, and I do believe people can do things that remove that value from them.

And if this topic delves into "the meaning of life", I believe that's a personal question.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Brian and Chad,

Thanks guys!

Are you able to explain why you think human life has inherent value, and how you came to that conclusion?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Some lives it seems are more valuable than others.

[Image: syria-darfur.png]
(June 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Are you able to explain why you think human life has inherent value, and how you came to that conclusion?

Explain as in provide rational justification...or explain as in describe the biological situation that creates this situation?  

Human life, btw, to me - the most valuable thing in existence, if for no other reason......than that I enjoy the hell out of mine.  I wave the human flag at every opportunity, and there's never a moments hesitation in my mind when a decision has to be made between competing interests. I'm always on our side. Bald Eagles or well lit streets? Pow, roasted eagle. Beautiful forests or plentiful food? Hand me the gas and the torch.

I'd shoot a bear if I saw it chasing the next (or previous) Pol Pot, it's just who I am.

That the kind of declaration of inherent value you're thinking of? Does it qualify?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 21, 2015 at 4:08 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Do you, as atheists, believe that human life has inherent value? (this means human life has value, in and of itself, unconditionally)

If so, how did you come to this conclusion, and why do you believe this?

(PS - No agenda here, just honestly curious about what you think and why you think it. If you do not want to hear my opinions, don't ask. I promise not to talk about them otherwise.)

The problem with your question is that value or worth is generally defined in relative terms and those terms have to do with importance that people assign to a person, object, or idea.  Nothing has value in the abstract.  Value is a term we apply to things we find of importance.  So in answering the question I can't tell you if there is some permanent cosmic value to life, because unlike people, the cosmos doesn't assign values.  Only people and perhaps some more mental advance animals do.  And we assign value as valuable to people.  If say lions assign value, I'm sure they assign it as valuable to themselves or possibly to lions.  They wouldn't find human life anymore inherently valuable than we find lion life.

As a human I will say that people of any moral fiber find inherent value in human life.  But that doesn't mean that when there are no more people, anyone will find human life to have been of any value.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(June 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Are you able to explain why you think human life has inherent value, and how you came to that conclusion?

Explain as in provide rational justification...or explain as in describe the biological situation that creates this situation?  Human life, btw, to me - the most valuable thing in existence, if for no other reason......than that I enjoy the hell out of mine.  You?

You can do both. :-)

(June 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote:

Explain as in provide rational justification...or explain as in describe the biological situation that creates this situation?  Human life, btw, to me - the most valuable thing in existence, if for no other reason......than that I enjoy the hell out of mine.  You?

Me what?

(June 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(June 21, 2015 at 4:08 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Do you, as atheists, believe that human life has inherent value? (this means human life has value, in and of itself, unconditionally)

If so, how did you come to this conclusion, and why do you believe this?

The problem with your question is that value or worth is generally defined in relative terms and those terms have to do with importance that people assign to a person, object, or idea.

This is not a problem. :-)

I asked whether or not you believe human life has inherent value because I want to know whether or not you believe it does. I see that your answer is you don't know. Thank you for your well thought out response below.

(edited)

Quote:Nothing has value in the abstract.  Value is a term we apply to things we find of importance.  So in answering the question I can't tell you if there is some permanent cosmic value to life, because unlike people, the cosmos doesn't assign values.  Only people and perhaps some more mental advance animals do.  And we assign value as valuable to people.  If say lions assign value, I'm sure they assign it as valuable to themselves or possibly to lions.  They wouldn't find human life anymore inherently valuable than we find lion life.

As a human I will say that people of any moral fiber find inherent value in human life.  But that doesn't mean that when there are no more people, anyone will find human life to have been of any value.

-walsh

If so, why do you believe this and how did you come to that conclusion?

Human life isn't unconditionally valuable to me.  I don't believe abortion is wrong or euthanasia.  If an old man who's suffering horrible pain doesn't want to live anymore and doesn't value his own life anymore I wouldn't value it for him or try and stop him killing himself. 
 If it was an old man who was just suffering from depression and I thought I could cheer him up I'd try, but if had something terminal that no one could cure I'd let him kill himself.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Rationally, I value my own life.  Because I am consistent I value in others that which I share with others, that which I value in myself. The more something shares with me, the more similar I am to something, the more value I assign it, because, again, value starts right here (and ofc the more dissimilar, the -less- I value it). This is why, for example, I assign the utmost value to your life, and less value to a dogs life.....while the dog's life is valued (by me) more than the life of a mollusk, and finally...allll the way down...the mullosk is assigned a greater value, to me...than a pile of rocks.

Biologically?  My pain response is autonomous, my fear response is autonomous.  My heart beats without my conscious control (and I couldn't will it to stop if I tried).  I am -incapable- of not valuing my life, every part of me, from the machinery "on up"...if there even is an up...screams to me to preserve that which I am, alive.  Even if the "on up" bit of me -tried- through ignorance or mistake...to off itself, my machinery might yank the wheel out of that humunculous' hands because clearly...it doesn't know wtf it's doing...and it's time for a better qualified operator.  I can't help it, that's the situation my biology places me in, regarding my valuing human life.  

(I was asking you if you thought that human life had value, ofc.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2840 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3446 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6049 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 959 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does Atheists have acceptability ? hindu 40 4454 July 18, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Porcupine
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1377 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2014 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3043 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6490 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2833 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray