Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Fox News Talking Point About the SC Shootings
The New Fox News Talking Point About the SC Shootings
Sometimes I like to read the comments under news articles. Starting yesterday, I noticed that some commenters were complaining that too much attention was paid to Dylan Roof and not enough to his victim. That is a fair criticism; however, the comments usually went further than just asking for more coverage of the victims' lives. Often they wanted no coverage of the reason that Roof killed and a few also use the type of language that far right conservatives use. (Using liberal as an insult or claiming the liberal news is behind the coverage of Roof) One commenter even said that there should be NO coverage of Roof and his reasons for massacring nine people. She claimed that reporting about him could inspire a copycat.

So, I wondered if this was the new talking point on the right. In order to direct the conversation away from questions that make us face things like racism and negative aspect of our country's history, they are going to claim that we should ignore the reasons Roof killed to stop a potential copy cat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greta-van-...35546.html

Greta Carlon's article is more even than some of the comments that I have found online but the title of the article is troubling."How Much Attention to Give Dylann Roof? Do Journalists Decide?"

Who else but journalists would decide? She could have left off the second sentence and her point would have made sense without it. When it comes to reporting on Roof's terrorist act, the free market apparently shouldn't be allowed to work

Fox News reports ad nauseum about brown terrorists but suddenly a few days reporting on Roof is too much?

Carlon also mentioned the potential of a copycat so I think that this is the new Fox talking point
RE: The New Fox News Talking Point About the SC Shootings
And how many stories did Fox run again on the Boston bomber's background and upbringing? Like two hundred? Dodgy They want to 'focus on the victims and ignore the attacker' when it fits their narrative.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I think the idea to not give the killer undue publicity is a good one, insofar as he shouldn't be given name recognition, nor should photos of him be aired. No, I don't think this should be by government mandate; it should be up to the news outlet.

As for Fox's motives, well, I don't trust them. I suspect they're complaining here because the brown folks in this story caught the bullets, not shot them.

How people people in the US do you think support what this guy did? Do any of you think a whole lot of white people secretly support this mass murder?
(June 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm)Drich Wrote: How people people in the US do you think support what this guy did? Do any of you think a whole lot of white people secretly support this mass murder?

What?
- Thomas Jefferson
In the OP the concern was brought up that none of the details should be given out in fear that it would spark a copy cat... Well, in order for their to be a copy cat someone must really really side with what this guy has done.
That, or someone wants to emulate the actions for attention.
- Thomas Jefferson
Or, it might be that there are fucked up people in the world who don't think so far as all that before they mindlessly repeat what others have done or said.......as we so often find examples of........Drich.
            Rolleyes
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm)Drich Wrote: How people people in the US do you think support what this guy did? Do any of you think a whole lot of white people secretly support this mass murder?

I don't think that most people, regardless of race, support mass murder. Even most racists probably stop short of actually wanting to kill anyone

We do need a discussion about race. In the south, there is something called white pride or pride in 'our heritage' that drives me up the wall.  

When I was a child, older white people often claimed that slaves were treated well in the south. I've known people that claim that the Civil War had little to do with slavery which makes no sense because it isn't hard to find original documents online that say, in the words of the Confederates, that the war was over slavery

People get called all sorts of names online but the most hateful names that I have been called occur when I have said that the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism. Someone once told me that "You must be a black. Go back to Africa." It was the only time I reported anything to facebook. I am white, by the way.

Something is very wrong with the way we view race in this country and the only way to cure it is to shine a lot of light on it.
Nope, you are dead on with respect to racism in the south!

However according to the supreme court, racism is a thing of the past.  As an example, look at the ruling on voting rights in the south.  Apparently somewhere between Selma and today the country worked out all of our kinks and everything is just honkey dory.

Faux news is as racist as it gets.  It hates muslims and panders to radical right wing people.  With the exception of Ben Carson, that base is 99.9% white

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4015 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Fox 'News' Running Scared BrianSoddingBoru4 9 727 December 20, 2020 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Just now on FOX NEWS...... Brian37 17 1111 December 12, 2020 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Christchurch mosque shootings: the heartbreaking hearing WinterHold 155 8757 November 6, 2020 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Shep Smith out at Fox News. Brian37 11 1014 October 12, 2019 at 9:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A snowball's chance in Fox News Brian37 11 1151 May 31, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Notice The Orange Turdfuhrer Hasn't Been Talking About Stocks Lately? Minimalist 3 464 October 24, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The White House Staff Can't Stop Talking.... Minimalist 1 315 August 16, 2018 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 527 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Fucktard Forgot Who He Was Talking To Minimalist 30 3487 April 29, 2018 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: A Theist