Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church and State
Photo 
Church and State
Saw something today when I was applying to get a replacement birth certificate.
[Image: Capture.png]
RE: Church and State
Are you objecting to the use of religious records as a certification of birth?  Why?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'd posit most are accurate, I'd only have doubts about anything the Scientologists or the Mormons pulled out of their ass.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I wouldn't trust anything written in a fucking family bible.
(June 24, 2015 at 5:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Are you objecting to the use of religious records as a certification of birth?  Why?

Boru

Yes.

The first amendment does not allow the state to respect the church in any legal way. It also lets you pray in school so don't be too mad.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"
I fail to see how that is respecting an establishment of religion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 24, 2015 at 6:33 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I fail to see how that is respecting an establishment of religion.

Respecting is defined as, "with reference or regard to".

The law references the church as an authority on birth certificates.

When someone gets married at a church, the state doesn't recognize that. That's because the state isn't allowed to respect the church. The same should apply for the birth certificate.
My dad was born at home, in Brooklyn, NY, in 1916 to two Italian immigrants whose English was, at best, rudimentary.  He had two birth certificates, both handwritten on the official form, and one filled out by the mid-wife who handled the delivery and the other apparently written out by the city registrar some days later.  He had two different birth dates, two different middle names...neither of which he used.... and when he enlisted in 1942 the army gave him a third birthdate.  You want to talk about a paperwork clusterfuck.

So there might well be a reason why someone in the hinterlands might have needed some back up.  Shit happens.
I'm with FNM on this one.  Using an entry in a family Bible or a baptismal record doesn't exactly establish a religion.  I fairly sure the amendment is a safeguard against the establishment of an official State religion.  This is nothing even remotely like that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Respecting is defined as, "with reference or regard to".

The law references the church as an authority on birth certificates.

When someone gets married at a church, the state doesn't recognize that either.

But the amendment doesn't read 'respecting religion', it reads 'respecting an establishment of religion'.  Using a church record to verify a birth doesn't establish a religion.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3029 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1040 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 10277 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1230 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satan and Flying Spaghetti Monster Unite for Church-State Separation AFTT47 2 657 September 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The communist state of Kerela, India Duty 5 822 December 22, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 244 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 7984 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Tillerson Out as Secretary of State Crossless2.0 12 1430 March 17, 2018 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Opinions On Secretary of State Tillerson AFTT47 16 2515 December 17, 2017 at 10:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13