Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
math tard, Help
math tard, Help
Where is the flaw in this? Think it is division by 0 but not sure.

x=y
x squared = xy
x squared-y squared = xy-y squared
(x+y) (x-y)=y(x-y)
(x+y) (x-y)/(x-y)=y(x-y)/(x-y)
(x+y)=y
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: math tard, Help
Take it one step further.

x+y-y=y-y
x=0
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
One of your terms = 0, and then you attempt to divide by it.

Even without numbers and just using symbols, of something =0 and then you divvy by it, things go kerfloouy.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, the y(x-y) = yx-y² = y²-y² = 0
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
The problem is if x and y = 1. I'm guessing any other integer also. Help the math tard. Thanks.
It doesn't matter what the value of x and y are. In step three, you have 0=0 every time.

(June 27, 2015 at 11:17 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: It doesn't matter what the value of x and y are. In step three, you have 0=0 every time.

Thanks to you all, may be not as stupid as I thought. Sorry, not PC, not as mentally challenged.
Hehe yeah, it's a neat trick. Dividing by zero is the maths equivalent of a logical fallacy.

Here's the maths equivalent of presuppositional apologetics:

x=1

Therefor

x=1
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
In my experience with math, if you hit your head on the wall a sufficient amount times, the problem will solve itself
Do it enough times and it solves all your problems, mathematical or otherwise!

I love maths. I used to be a maths teacher. Going back even further, I used to ask for maths homework when I was very young. I've got great satisfaction from helping people who really believed they "can't do maths" to reach a new understanding of it Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3297 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? Gentle_Idiot 41 5361 December 18, 2022 at 11:02 am
Last Post: polymath257
  I hate math Woah0 5 1035 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6931 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1904 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13696 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 5952 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1461 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 10799 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13634 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas