Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey guys, I know I have already made a few posts here, but I after going through a lot of the threads here and what not, I decided this might be a nice forum to frequent.

Anyway a quick intro:
I am from Maryland, USA, just outside of DC.
I am currently an undergraduate studying Food Science Technology and Business at Virginia Tech.  Also looking to get a Minor in economics.
Although I may be a Food Science Major, and a Business major, I have little interest in working in either field, with a few exceptions.  What I am really passionate about is introducing entomophagy into Western society, or working on more efficient small scale farming practices that can be introduced into low income rural populations.  Although I suspect reality might steer me elsewhere later in life, that is the plan for now.  

How I became an atheist?
Not a very interesting story really.  I was raised Catholic, I went to an Opus Day private catholic school from 6-12 grade.  I always loved argumentation, and so while I was there I took it upon myself to be the main apologist in my class.  I was by no means devout, I never wanted to go to Mass, and skipped it often times on the few days that it was mandatory at the school.  I don't think I ever really accepted Catholicism, it was just convenient to believe in it, because until I went to college, almost everyone I knew was Catholic.  After going to college and meeting a greater variety of people I quickly became agnostic(which I held to be the only truly defensible position).  I still am agnostic, but thanks to both my apologetics classes in Highschool, and after hearing how a number of atheists articulated their position, I realized that a/theism and a/gnosticism were not mutually exclusive of one another, and proclamation of one did not necessarily exempt your from a position on the other.  And so after about a year in college I came to the conclusion that I was agnostic atheist.  I noticed you guys like to use the Dawkins scale to express your position on religion.  I would be a 6 on that scale.

Not exactly sure what else to add.

I guess one other thing to add.
I am also a game moderator for a dying wizards chess site called tacticsarena.com
I bring this up because I suspect one or two members of this forum may also be members of that forum.

One final edit:
I love mafia, and have been denied my mafia fix for a few months now. Really looking forward to scum hunting all of you!
RE: New Member
Welcome

You get a rep 'cause it's mah burfday!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Happy Birthday!!!
Hi Hi

Ex catholic hi5
(June 29, 2015 at 9:40 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Hi Hi

Ex catholic hi5

*hi5s*

Thanks man, I just read through your story in the conversion section.  I never had a traumatic experience like you did, but I fully understand how people can get caught into that trap.  A lot of my actions are still likely governed by my early introduction into Christianity, so in some sense, I might still be caught in the trap.  I think the one I have noticed most, is my take on when it's appropriate to let down my guard and allow someone else to explore my sexuality.  I hold that sex is generally a good thing and that having a liberal attitude towards it is a good thing.  However, personally, I have to get to know someone fairly well before I want to sleep with them.  I have had more than one uneventful one night stand and a few moments of irrational guilt for me to come to this realization.

It could always be a personality quirk, but the guilt thing hits on other issues too, even though my own moral code would tell me that I did nothing wrong.
Hello, Aristocatt. Welcome
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Heya welcome!

It's nice to meet you and to hear your story Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome!

Enjoy your stay
Welcome to the forum ^_^

Hope you stick around.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Welcome, ex-catholic here as well. It is a religion filled with immorality, too bad I didn't realize until about two years ago. I did realize there was logical holes in it, somewhere in the vicinity of age 10-12, but was too scared to question it, because of the fear of hell. Indoctrination is a bitch.

Gotta love religion...

Welcome
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 224 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4438334 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 259 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 530 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 867 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 654 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1358 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1194 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2057 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2630 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one