Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favourite endorsement of democracy?
Video 
What is your favourite endorsement of democracy?
It could be a political speech, a quote or anything at all that has moved/convinced you or maybe something that perfectly represents your opinion.

Mine is the 'Machine men with machine hearts' speech that Charlie Chaplin makes at the end of the film The great dictator (1940). If I'm not mistaken, he also wrote it.

I must have heard literally hundreds of speeches from politicians, academics and educators but this is the only clearly pro-democracy speech that has ever really moved me. I've rarely heard so much passion and sincerity talking about something so positive. So I'd like to say thank you, Charlie.

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
RE: What is your favourite endorsement of democracy?
Yeah, that speech was unexpectedly great.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZe4LzAG1lA

(just to clarify, this is a satire)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

An endorsement of democracy (sort of) in reverse. 

In the novel Contact, Sagan relates a scene between Ellie Arroway and her Soviet counterpart, where she tells him, 'I'm free enough that I can march up and down in front of the White House and denounce my nation's policies.'

The Russian replies, 'Then in this, at least, we are equal, for I am free enough to march around Red Square and denounce your nation's policies.'

(the quotes may not be exact, been a while since I've read it)

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

~ Winston Churchill
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Quote:One of the fundamental necessities in a representative government such as ours is to make certain that the men to whom the people delegate their power shall serve the people by whom they are elected, and not the special interests. I believe that every national officer, elected or appointed, should be forbidden to perform any service or receive any compensation, directly or indirectly, from interstate corporations; and a similar provision could not fail to be useful within the States.

– Theodore Roosevelt  1910
Quote:[Image: 7805.jpg]
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

H.L. Mencken  The Baltimore Sun, 1920

Prophecy fulfilled   January 20, 2001

[Image: president-george-w-bush-right-hand-inauguration.jpg]

Mencken 1
Jesus  0
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

- good ol' Winny Churchill

“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”

― Christopher Hitchens

Banging Head On Desk
(July 1, 2015 at 12:10 pm)shannonamyj Wrote: "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

While I think Churchill is an over glorified and unprincipled egomaniacal opportunist, I would not bet against his mastery of the English language being superior to that of anyone who would ever grace this forum.
(July 1, 2015 at 12:20 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(July 1, 2015 at 12:10 pm)shannonamyj Wrote: "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

While I think Churchill is an over glorified and unprincipled egomaniacal opportunist, I would not bet against his mastery of the English language being superior to that of anyone who would ever grace this forum.

Ouch. If you're referring to me, I'd like to point out that not everyone can afford education, or speaks English as their first language - to assume that is classist and just plain ignorant. That being said, Churchill lived in a time when the internet wasn't around; who knows, maybe he would have been a 'text talker'. You do have a rather strong grasp on the English language, maybe you could use your advantage to teach us on here who are less 'superior'.

xoxo Big Grin

“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”

― Christopher Hitchens

Banging Head On Desk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 583 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Real democracy Macoleco 23 1152 March 17, 2022 at 9:06 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  The Future of Democracy JairCrawford 49 3126 March 11, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can Democracy NOT lead to Oligarchy? ignoramus 4 341 July 18, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Political figure endorsement of news orgs = abuse of power? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1150 March 9, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Democracy is fucked up Zenith 31 8449 February 25, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  The States Are The Laboratories of Democracy! Minimalist 12 2010 August 19, 2016 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mitt Romney considering a Libertarian Party endorsement? ReptilianPeon 9 1419 August 1, 2016 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  US Puppet Democracy Aractus 18 2157 June 20, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Aractus
  They’re all bought and sold: American democracy belongs to the billionaires now Heat 70 8348 February 7, 2016 at 2:50 am
Last Post: GrandizerII