Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why choose to say 'godless' and not say 'i don't know'?
Why choose to say 'godless' and not say 'i don't know'?
Is the probability that low that god can't cause natural selection, i don't believe in the 'christian' god btw, not 'hindu' but I do believe that there is a creator very unknowable. What makes one deny that claim..I have read many atheist book, just got through with Richard Dawkins book and he makes EXCELLENT point, but it so geared towards 'american' and/or 'christian' view rather then, deny god himself being existed.

Why deny? Anything is possible?
RE: Why choose to say 'godless' and not say 'i don't know'?
Yes. It is a logical possibility there is a God in existance, however I find there is not sufficient evidence to warrent such a belief.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Yeah, there is no evidence to support the existence of God thus denying the existence of such is the only intelligent option.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
I agree. I cannot say with complete certainty that there are no god(s), but I can say there is no evidence to support the contention that one (or more) exists. Therefore, I do not believe that contention.
(April 18, 2010 at 9:28 am)savethedreams Wrote: Why deny? Anything is possible?
Well here we have an issue with semantics. The standard definition of atheists is "one who does not believe in Gods" or "one who disbelieves in Gods". Only a few dictionaries (and right-wing Christian sites) define it as an actual "denial" of the existence of God. I believe they do this so as to make God a default position, and "denial" have negative connotations.

So I don't deny the existence of God, I simply don't believe there is any evidence or reasoning that confirms it. In answer to your initial subject question, I do say "I don't know" (with my agnosticism), but I say I'm "godless" because I live my life without any Gods as far as I am aware.
I don't see "god" as either logical or possible.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(April 18, 2010 at 9:54 am)Paul the Human Wrote: I agree. I cannot say with complete certainty that there are no god(s), but I can say there is no evidence to support the contention that one (or more) exists. Therefore, I do not believe that contention.

You can't say that. You can only say you haven't been presented with any thus far.
(April 18, 2010 at 11:00 am)tavarish Wrote:
(April 18, 2010 at 9:54 am)Paul the Human Wrote: I agree. I cannot say with complete certainty that there are no god(s), but I can say there is no evidence to support the contention that one (or more) exists. Therefore, I do not believe that contention.

You can't say that. You can only say you haven't been presented with any thus far.

Yes, thank you. That is, indeed, what I meant to say.

In that case, do you deny that Santa Claus exists, or do you say "I don't know?" After all, anything is possible...
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(April 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm)Thor Wrote:

In that case, do you deny that Santa Claus exists, or do you say "I don't know?" After all, anything is possible...

Rather... does this individual deny that: bananas are evil kleptomaniacs currently at war with the Very Prickly Pineapples (VPP);

That spiders are in league with the angry robotic ninja spider monkeys (ARNSM), and who's web stretches into every home and location on Earth;

That the Wei Lord of Sala (Weilordusala) went through the Trials of Strongest Foods (which nobody else had ever completed) so that he could defeat the Big Salsa and his hordes of Red Hot Salsa Men (RHSM) who attacked the happy kingdom of Sala, and that the best way to beat the Big Salsa and his minions is with Chips;

Finally: that I am sillier than a snowball fight between Gandalf and Pikachu?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4665 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2261 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5237 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21631 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 22766 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8459 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Do as I say, not as I do thool 22 7127 May 29, 2017 at 4:59 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 36924 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can I just say why I love you guys? Won2blv 13 2410 December 11, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why I don't believe in religion Na11 21 5640 November 30, 2016 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Little Rik