Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion -cpr on the fetus?
Abortion -cpr on the fetus?
Let me begin by stating that I am not a theist (the most common as-homin attack I get when opposing abortion on secular grounds is that I am secretly a theist again I am not).
Most people oppose abortion based in the right to bodily autonomy. Regardless of your beliefs on that, once the fetus is out of the maternal womb, bodily autonomy no longer applies. 20 weeks has arbitrairly been considered the limit of viability, however infants born at 21 weeks have clearly survived and case reports of younger (less developed) infants surviving are also available. Additionally not all abortions occur before 20 weeks.
Therefore my moral question is why is resuscitation and medical support with held from an aborted fetus if there is a chance of survival? We do not allow this in any other situations. certainly we would not allow a parent to stop feeding or withhold medical care from a child because they simply do not want the child. It is actually considered child abuse even if they want the child and are following their misguided religious convictions
this is not a financial question so I would ask that cost not be an arguement. We use more expensive therapies for similar success rates all the time. This is a moral and philosophical question
RE: Abortion -cpr on the fetus?
This is one of those convoluted trick questions heh? I am sorry, but I don't find anything worth discussiing here in this thread. Care to clarify?
.......whaaa? O_o

Could you.....rephrase that? What specifically do you want to discuss?
Is it immoral to withhold resuscitation to an aborted fetus? If not then why?
Because it's dead?
(July 3, 2015 at 5:20 pm)answer-is-42 Wrote: Is it immoral to withhold resuscitation to an aborted fetus? If not then why?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resuscitate
Quote:Full Definition of RESUSCITATE
transitive verb
:  to revive from apparent death or from unconsciousness

How can you resuscitate something which has never been alive?
....and if it's not dead, it has no chance of survival outside the womb?

I mean, really. Did you think that through?
If there is no higher brain development, there is no person as far as I'm concerned.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
That is not true. Debating if a fetus is a person is a question. Debating if a fetus is alive is stupid. It is alive and can be delivered in a way allowing for attempts at survival - see my above examples of premature infants at 21 weeks. It WILL BE KILLED without this (going from Alive to dead).
I don't think you have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.  Study up on human gestation.  You desperately need it.

What you are blabbering about is the idiotic political notion...normally spread by asshole republicunts and their jesus freak allies...that babies can "feel pain" at 20 weeks. 

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/fe...us-system/

Quote:The third trimester is brimming with rapid development of neurons and wiring. Baby’s brain roughly triples in weight during the last 13 weeks of gestation, growing from about 3.5 ounces at the end the second trimester to almost 10.6 ounces at term.

A fetus delivered before the third trimester (28+ weeks) would suffer serious brain issues.  Granted, this apparently is not enough to prevent their subsequent election to the US Senate from Texas or the rest of the deep south.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1674 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9285 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Abortion is morally wrong Arthur123 1121 161881 September 18, 2014 at 2:46 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Contraception vs. abortion Tea Earl Grey Hot 26 10020 April 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Tex
  An argument against elective abortion Ryft 37 19498 December 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13350 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet