Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Did Uzzah Die For Touching the Ark?
Why Did Uzzah Die For Touching the Ark?
This story is from Samuel, chapter

http://biblehub.com/2_samuel/6.htm

David decided to move the ark and used a new cart guided by two men, Uzzah and Ahio. When one of the oxen pulling the cart stumbled, Uzzah-naturally- put his hand on the ark. God, according to the story, killed Uzzah for trying to stop the ark from falling.

Quote:Then the LORD's anger burned against Uzzah, and God struck him dead on the spot for his irreverence, and he died there next to the ark of God

The bible describes god as being very angry because he tried to steady the ark. To Christians, why do you believe god punished Uzzah for trying to keep the ark from falling to the ground? I know that not every Christian on this site believes that the stories are literal. If you believe that this story is just an allegory then what is it teaching?
RE: Why Did Uzzah Die For Touching the Ark?
God is a merciless prick ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 5, 2015 at 10:16 am)vorlon13 Wrote: God is a merciless prick ?

Well, there is that. Tongue For a supposedly wise being, bible god throws a lot of tantrums.
(July 5, 2015 at 10:09 am)Nope Wrote: If you believe that this story is just an allegory then what is it teaching?

Don't ever touch holy stuff under any circumstances whatsoever or you're fucked?
It was my understanding that he tried to peer inside the ark, or gain a height equivalent to the Lord selfishly. If you tell me were to find the story you speak of I can read it and give a better explanation. Thanks.
(July 5, 2015 at 10:43 am)popsthebuilder Wrote: It was my understanding that he tried to peer inside the ark, or gain a height equivalent to the Lord selfishly. If you tell me were to find the story you speak of I can read it and give a better explanation. Thanks.

Nope Wrote:This story is from Samuel, chapter

Because why not?

"You're getting a smite, and YOU'RE getting a smite too...EVERYONE'S GETTING A SMITE!" *Drowns the earth*

But yeah, he got told not to touch holy stuff. No excuses ever, just as there is no excuses for sin ever. The idea is to show that even if something horrible would happen, you don't sin to prevent it.
(July 5, 2015 at 10:45 am)Exian Wrote:
(July 5, 2015 at 10:43 am)popsthebuilder Wrote: It was my understanding that he tried to peer inside the ark, or gain a height equivalent to the Lord selfishly. If you tell me were to find the story you speak of I can read it and give a better explanation. Thanks.

Nope Wrote:This story is from Samuel, chapter

Ok. Evidently he was struck down because he foolishly thought that the Lord needed him to steady the arch. He didn't believe that the Lord controlled everything's fate including the fate of the arch.

Admittedly , this seems a little odd. As it says David was agree and scared because of what happened. Honestly I don't really understand it, which is odd. Only through very loose understanding can I say that he didn't show Faith. And perhaps that is why he was struck down. He should have had much Faith simply due to his position. That's all I got. Really somewhat stumped. If something else comes to me I will let you know.
(July 5, 2015 at 10:57 am)popsthebuilder Wrote:
(July 5, 2015 at 10:45 am)Exian Wrote:
Ok. Evidently he was struck down because he foolishly thought that the Lord needed him to steady the arch. He didn't believe that the Lord controlled everything's fate including the fate of the arch.

Admittedly , this seems a little odd. As it says David was agree and scared because of what happened. Honestly I don't really understand it, which is odd. Only through very loose understanding can I say that he didn't show Faith. And perhaps that is why he was struck down. He should have had much Faith simply due to his position. That's all I got. Really somewhat stumped. If something else comes to me I will let you know.
Strange how it's so difficult to figure out a worthwhile moral from a story about a merciful and loving god that, on the face of it, just appears to confirm a spiteful, petty and violent one?
It's a dumb story written by ignorant people, mystery solved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1321 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 538 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13067 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Aiders of the Lost Ark LinuxGal 1 753 November 26, 2022 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 6879 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 18927 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5832 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Would They Die for a Lie? YahwehIsTheWay 95 12655 December 27, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A question about the crew and passengers on the Ark. Gawdzilla Sama 68 6921 September 16, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65276 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian