Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My strange deconversion
My strange deconversion
So I stopped being religious in my early teens, or maybe even earlier, I can't remember, but I still believed in God. So much so that when I first met a real-life atheist I was too shocked to actually believe her. This was a classmate of mine and I engaged her in conversation and so we ended up chatting online and then she made me write her a long email so I could better present my case for God's existence. As I wrote though, I reached a certain point where I realised my own error in judgement. I thought about it and it seemed that for me God was everything, and so it might have as well have been nothing - if God is the Universe then why call him God at all?
I think I was still in the"I believe in a force" phase for a while but then I discovered Nietzsche's Antichrist, by accident, leafing through hundreds of ebooks that I had stored in my pc, and it really shook my faith in the supernatural for good. As a bonus I got introduced to philosophy at such a young age and started having these absolutely amazing intellectual talks with my best friend at the time. It was staggering, the things we talked about at that age(13-14).
So yeah, that's my story, and I hope it didn't bore you too much. =)
RE: My strange deconversion
Subtracting one from the other side is never boring.

Welcome.
Welcome.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
The force of logic is strong in this one!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
That doesn't sound strange to me.

Welcome to the forum.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Ah, blessed intellectualism.

Welcome
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 5, 2015 at 11:43 pm)Faith No More Wrote: That doesn't sound strange to me.

I guess it's strange for me because of my particular experience. I don't really remember how religious or theistic I was and up to what point. I guess I just have these powerful memories, some of which I already cited, but don't know exactly where or how to place them on my deconversion scale without stopping to make any sense. Maybe it's just that I fail to put it all in perspective.

On a second thought though, I really think I was always kind of a skeptic towards religion and god, and only accepted them as far as I was being slightly superstitious on purpose - you know, like being a ten year old who pretends to believe in Hogwarts after reading J.K. Rowling or in vampires after reading Ann Rice, but knowing at the same time that he really doesn't. The difference being, of course, that the teachings of the Bible were something forced upon me --something I didn't really take to very well. Kind of like a bad authority figure that you really depend on - you accept it because you have no apparent choice but you reject it all the same on account of it being bad for you.
Hi penguin! Hi

Congratulations on song tough the bull!
Have some welcome cake Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1374 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5389 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4544 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1699 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 1714 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 3977 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 4742 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1161 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!) Mzungu 16 7976 June 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel
  Deconversion process help me Bohook24 23 11464 June 14, 2013 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas