Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths
Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths
Aristotle stated in his Posterior Analytics that "not all knowledge is demonstrative: on the contrary, knowledge of the immediate premisses is independent of demonstration. (The necessity of this is obvious; for since we must know the prior premisses from which the demonstration is drawn, and since the regress must in immediate truths, those truths must be indemonstrable)." Do you agree or disagree?

In my view, we should be cautious of treating what appear to be necessary first principles or indemonstrable “facts” as metaphysical truths about the universe. The world, as it exists in actuality or in appearance, is indifferent to how brains evolved to conceptualize their surroundings, though we would certainly like to think that our reason is divine, and hence, absolute. After all, it took over two thousand years for one John von Neumann to discover that the laws of distribution in classical logic are not valid on quantum theory. All of this is to say that while first principles may be a necessary starting ground for fertile thought, they prove nothing about the world beyond how our minds relate to it. And again, we should only accept propositions as self-evidently true --- that is, we should only grant them --- when the alternative literally makes no sense, i.e. cannot be spoken of meaningfully (as in the case of something like the law of noncontradiction). Thus we can, justifiably, take axioms or first principles as self-evident, but not merely on the basis of how things appear or feel, and even then we should admit that until we have some means of confirmatory evidence for their truth at large (which we may never attain), they could be entirely wrongheaded.

What have you? Do you believe that there are times when it is more or less appropriate to accede to self-evident knowledge? What about the lazy appeal that philosophers like Alvin Plantinga make in attempting to rationalize the existence of God as a "properly basic belief," like knowledge of mathematical axioms or valid inferences? Where should the line be drawn with regards to "self-evident" truths?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths
It's unclear what makes philosophical views of knowledge and self-evident truths normative. Many epistemological views are sterile, greatly debated by epistemologists (philosophers rarely agree), and have no use in real life situations like informal dialogue. Plantinga's reformed epistemology is good example of that. Using Plantinga for an example, why I'm to care about proper basicality in real world situations? Why care about internalism vs externalism when both fail to solve the problems we wanted to solve?
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
"Metaphysical fact" is just another way to say "pragmatic assumption."
(July 10, 2015 at 7:57 pm)bennyboy Wrote: "Metaphysical fact" is just another way to say "pragmatic assumption."
When do you think it is appropriate, or inappropriate, to make that pragmatic assumption? Would you agree or disagree with my assessment of the issue?

Part of the reason I ask is due to my current assignment in ethics class, which is to critique W.D. Ross' notion of "prima facie duty." He claimed these to be self-evident, and I think that is a rather cheap move to try and justify the unjustifiable.

Also, in the Aristotle quote, it should be "since the regress must *end* in immediate truths," a key word I accidentally omitted. >_<
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
The model Aristotle seems to have for knowledge is of deductive reasoning.  If all knowledge were deductive, then there would need to be something to start things off, otherwise, there would only be tautologies that one would know.

My opinion is that his model is wrong, and that knowledge is not all deductive.

So, I agree that saying that something or other is "self-evident" is a cheat.  In fact, it is a fallacy that is so common it has a name; it is begging the question.  So I am saying it is more of a cheat than you are saying it is.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Revealed Truths pgrimes15 9 1051 October 28, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1216 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15100 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  A Necessary Being? TheMuslim 155 15007 September 10, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? Ignorant 69 7785 May 26, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 20399 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Does a "True Self" Exist? Salacious B. Crumb 68 14334 July 17, 2015 at 6:11 am
Last Post: chasbanner
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3842 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  What is Self ? Muslim Atheism 16 2138 June 28, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Moral Principles: 10 Myths Rahul 8 3342 February 14, 2014 at 12:20 am
Last Post: bennyboy